Chibineko's Reviews > Obsessed

Obsessed by Fiona Dodwell

Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: addicting, awesomeness, cool, creepy, dark, horror, male-lead-character, must-buy, short, thriller, supernatural

I have to admit that I held off on reading this book for a while because I wanted it to be the first horror book I read in October. Fiona Dodwell has a deliciously twisted writing style that is chock full of chills and thrills, so what could start off the Halloween season better than a book like this?

Obsessed is Dodwell's second book and it's awesome. While her first book (The Banishing) showed us that she definitely has the skills to deliver a spine chilling tale, this book shows us that she's definitely improving and gearing up to bring us even more than that. This is a wonderfully creepy story that kept me turning the pages and wondering what would happen next. What I really liked about this book was that the title so aptly described our main characters in the book. Jeff Jones (the seemingly dead guy) is obsessed with tormenting James. James is obsessed with Jeff's death and the reasons behind Jeff's actions.

I do have to say that I felt that the book was a little too short- I couldn't help but wonder what happened next and more about our characters. (I suppose that if you're going to get criticism, reading that the reader wanted more is one of the best ones to receive.) I love novellas, but if Dodwell wanted she could easily expand this world. (And I'd be right there standing in line to read it!)

I know this all sounds like a fangirl gush, but I have to say that I'm unashamedly claiming my fan status. Just like so many of her peers at Damnation Books, Fiona Dodwell is one of the undiscovered jewels of the indie lit crowd. This should definitely be on your "to read" lists this Halloween.

5 out of 5 stars

(Reader copy provided by author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsessed.

September 15, 2011 – Started Reading
September 15, 2011 – Shelved
October 3, 2011 –
19.0% "Looks to be another creepy read that'll mess with my head. Yay!"
October 4, 2011 –
30.0% "Nice and shivery so far. I like that this has some gore but is mostly psychological as far as the horror goes."
October 4, 2011 –
October 5, 2011 –
46.0% "James is in Jeff's house now & things are getting nice & tense."
October 5, 2011 –