Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > Before We Were Yours

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1053760
's review

liked it
bookshelves: liburry-book, read-2017

3.5 stars

This story is told in two time periods. You have present time with Avery Stafford. Avery is a senator's daughter and when her father gets sick Avery comes home to help aid him in any way she can. Some questions come up about her grandmother's past that Avery digs into that leads her down a path she never imagined.
Then you have Memphis in 1939. Rill is the oldest child of a couple that live in a river boat. One night her parents have to leave all five children home alone to rush their mother to the hospital. While they are gone the police show up and take the children.
They end up in the Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage under the care of the infamous Georgia Tann.


The kids were told that they were being taken so that their parents could later pick them up but Rill is beginning to realize that something more is going on. She tries to keep her brothers and sisters together but people are showing up for viewings and they are taking her siblings from her.


I had not heard of this children's home or the true life Georgia Mann. Things were swept under the carpet while she was alive and committing her crimes and now it still doesn't seem to be talked about. She charged exorbitant fees for 'adoption' fees and even blackmailed parents into paying more money. Children 'disappeared' under her care, they were sexually, physically and mentally abused. I'm floored that she was allowed and abetted by judges, police officers and who the crap all knows.
This book felt kinda chick litty for me but it does touch on her crimes in ways that will make you rage. I'm a nosey heifer and looked up her crimes and I'm disgusted.
I'm glad that the author did take the time to spotlight this dang evil woman. The children's story line in this book was my favorite as the present day one just never connected for me. I'm glad I read it and hope that more authors will shine a light on these crimes. There are still people that will never know the truth behind their pasts. I can't imagine how these parents felt when their children were taken and there was nothing they could do.
This is the face of an evil ass woman. She should be listed with Charles Manson, Jeffery Dahmer and all those other serial killers.


The old bitch.
124 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Yours.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 12, 2017 – Shelved
August 17, 2017 – Started Reading
August 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Hurry up on this one. I'm on the fence about it at the moment.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Hurry up on this one. I'm on the fence about it at the moment."

I'm slow as crap!


Jennifer Masterson I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this book! :)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this book! :)"

It's pretty good. :D


Angela M Shelby , you nailed it with "an evil ass woman" . Nice review!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Angela M wrote: "Shelby , you nailed it with "an evil ass woman" . Nice review!"

She makes my head spin.


Diane S ☔ Yep, what Angela said. Awesome review, Shelby.


message 8: by debra (new)

debra WOnderful review, Shelby. I was on the fence about this too, but it would prob give me angry exhaustion. Ummmmmmmmmmm evil ass c#%t dickwad also works for me. (Hope "c" word doesn't offend you-I use it for both male and female monsters)


message 9: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Shelby! That's so heartbreaking... I don't think I could read it without raging..


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Aisling Zena wrote: "Terrific review Shelby! That's so heartbreaking... I don't think I could read it without raging.."

I had lots of beer after reading it. :D

debra wrote: "WOnderful review, Shelby. I was on the fence about this too, but it would prob give me angry exhaustion. Ummmmmmmmmmm evil ass c#%t dickwad also works for me. (Hope "c" word doesn't offend you-I us..."

It doesn't go horribly in to what all happened..it just sorta glazed it for me. It's still enough to make you rage though. I just cannot fathom that this woman go by with so much.

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Yep, what Angela said. Awesome review, Shelby."

Thanks Diane!


message 11: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Harrison You can't judge a book or a person by its cover. Well, sometimes you can. This monster appears so sweet at first look. Yet there is definitely something fiendish behind her eyes. I've been wanting to read this story for awhile now. Not sure if I can handle it. It's important to bring these bottom dwellers to light, I agree. It is shocking what adults where allowed to get away with decades ago where children were involved. To turn a blind eye is almost the same as committing the crimes personally.


Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Shelby! It is so a bit chick litty. I think that's why the book is doing so well. It seems I'm not the only one who loves chick lit historical fiction! Lol! :)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Laura wrote: "You can't judge a book or a person by its cover. Well, sometimes you can. This monster appears so sweet at first look. Yet there is definitely something fiendish behind her eyes. I've been wanting ..."

She does look like a sweet old lady. It's scarier that she does look so normal. And yes!! I agree about that blind eye stuff.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! It is so a bit chick litty. I think that's why the book is doing so well. It seems I'm not the only one who loves chick lit historical fiction! Lol! :)"

I think so too...it makes it so that more people are reading it. <3


Jennifer Masterson Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! It is so a bit chick litty. I think that's why the book is doing so well. It seems I'm not the only one who loves chick lit historical fiction! Lol! :)"

..."


True. It definitely helped me escape from all the news and I felt I was learning something historical at the same time, too. The book "The Lost Letter" is the same type. I loved that one, too! Lol! Maybe I need more chick lit in my life! ;)


message 16: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Great review, Shelby.


Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog AWESOME review Shelby!! :)
xoxoxo


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "AWESOME review Shelby!! :)
xoxoxo"


Mike wrote: "Great review, Shelby."

Thanks guys!
Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *trains flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Shelby! It is so a bit chick litty. I think that's why the book is doing so well. It seems I'm not the only one who loves c..."

I love some chick lit. I traveled down this dang dark reads path and have been reading that type book for awhile but sometimes nothing hits the spot like chick lit does.


Margitte Snorting here. Actually secretly giggling. Can't help it. Your outspoken passion is just refreshing! :-)) Wonderful review, Shelby. I have this book and think I should make it my next read. Get the guts up and running, sort of. So yes, let me get through it, but I know I'm going to join your team on the bitch thing because it's going to make me cry my eyes out, and that makes me mad.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Margitte wrote: "Snorting here. Actually secretly giggling. Can't help it. Your outspoken passion is just refreshing! :-)) Wonderful review, Shelby. I have this book and think I should make it my next read. Get the..."

She is awful! Just wait til you "meet her" you will def. be on my team! LOL


Carmen Great review!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Carmen wrote: "Great review!"

thanks!!!


message 23: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Great review!


message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Callahan I just finished listening to the audio version. I agree wholeheartedly with your review. It got a bit "chick litty" for me at times too. But, it sent me down the rabbit hole, wanting to know more about this old bitch. Her name should be as well known as so many other serial killers. thanks for posting the photos. I've seen them on my search. I found a 1991 You Tube show on Oprah that had two twin men who had been through the TCH. Unbelievable? No. Not when one looks around at the evil there always has been.


Diana Hummel Great review, but I loved it in spite of the chick lit part! Hated the old bitch though!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Diana wrote: "Great review, but I loved it in spite of the chick lit part! Hated the old bitch though!"

:)


back to top