Celeste's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Sep 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011

I bought this book on my Kindle because I'd heard about it and never read it. Yeah, one of those cases.

I can't rave about this one. I really liked it in the beginning; I thought it was ingenius and interesting. But the farther I got into it, the more things I was figuring out before I read them. I don't like that. I don't like it when it gets predictable like that. In the end I was just thinking, "Of course..."

Another thing that got to me was that my brother told me that Orson Scott Card is a real douche. I looked it up, and yeah, I have to agree with him on that. And maybe it shouldn't get to me, but if I know something about the author, it makes it harder for me to objectively read a book. So, it's not just OSC (I couldn't read through a James Frey book without vomiting either), I've felt this way before, but one this is certain: I don't appreciate homophobes.

The writing is pretty good and considering that he wrote it in the early '70s, I was impressed in the same way that Bradbury impresses me by his ability to look into the future and see some of what we will progress toward, both materially and psychologically.

I'm not going to read anymore of his books. I don't want to put one cent more of my money in his pocket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

September 15, 2011 – Started Reading