Becky's Reviews > Collected Poems of Robert Service

Collected Poems of Robert Service by Robert W. Service

Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: librivox-gutenberg-for-free, wanderlust-for-nature, poetry, physical-library-read

As I get older, I become more tolerant of poetry. Most of its too flightly or symbolic for me though, and I prefer it to tell a story, so when its not I often skip over it. That is not the case with this collection. Robert Service is known as the Bard of the North, and as the people’s poet. He really write so that everyone can understand, but its still so beautiful. He captures the deadly beauty of the Yukon, the tenacity of the human spirit, the weakness of the human condition. His poems about his service in WWI are particularly poignant.

My father used to sit around out campfire and recite from memory the Cremation of Sam McGee. I’m currently in the process of trying to memorize that one, as well as “The Men that Don’t Fit In.” If you are anything like me, Service’s poems sing to you in a way, in a language that few people understand.

Parts of this collection are provided for free as an audiobook by Librivox.org

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Poems of Robert Service.

03/19/2016 marked as: read