Maria Haskins's Reviews > Ligatures

Ligatures by Sara Rich

I first encountered Sara Rich through her short fiction, specifically her fabulously strange and chilling short story 'Hel 266'. 'Ligatures' reminds me in some ways of that short story, twisting together complex relationships, history, science, religion, and slow-creeping horror into a tale that worms its way underneath your skin as you read it.

'Ligatures' is set in something close to our present day, in a time when the US has been taken over by racist, xenophobic, science-hating, religious extremists (a turn of events that seems frighteningly possible right now). The story follows Stanza, as she returns home to Kansas after losing her Belgian husband in an accident, and from the moment she returns home, the tale spins ever tighter, burrowing deep into Stanza's own family history, the history of the place she grew up, and revealing hidden secrets from her own past and bloodline.

This is a slow-burn of a story, and Rich's prose kept me hooked from the first page to the last. Witchcraft, Ozark history, and crimes and sins from the past bleed into the story, and as the tale gets darker, I found it increasingly difficult to put this book down.

A dark, unsettling read with real literary merit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ligatures.

August 11, 2017 – Started Reading