Vicky Who Reads's Reviews > Kat and Meg Conquer the World

Kat and Meg Conquer the World by Anna Priemaza

This book was so cute! I loved all the friendship dynamics and seeing Kat and Meg together was like bubbly goodness for me. I also really enjoyed the awesome (video game) fandom stuff in here, even though I still don't really get why people like watching others play video games when you could play it yourself!

Kat and Meg Conquer the World revolves around the friendship between two outcasts, Kat and Meg, through their partnering for a science project. From there, they discover their mutual love for a video game and one of the gamers who makes videos of him playing the game. Kat struggles with her anxiety while Meg feels like her ADHD is pushing people away.

friendship. Friendship! FRIENDSHIP. I just love all those healthy friendship themes floating around this book. Kat and Meg make such awesome friends and reading about their journey to best friends was so fun. This is just one of those books that makes you mushy inside from all that friendly love.

That'd be enough for me, but seeing all the mental health topics interwoven in was lovely and the amount of diversity both because of this & as Meg is black turned my insides to goo. Kat and Meg are both vastly different, but they manage to create this friendship through their mutual love of the video game as well as the science project.

I think the story was written very well and I enjoyed following along with the plot. It never felt dull to me as there was always something happening and there were multiple subplots which gave it that added depth.

I did have a small problem with distinguishing between points of view just because of the quick switches. In some areas of the book, there are some rapid point of view switches between Kat and Meg so it's only a few pages for each girl and I found it a little difficult to stay on track because their voices were so similar. I would read the heading, but it's the voice and not the heading that helps me distinguish which character is narrating, and I had trouble figuring out who's who in a split second and would have to flip back to check I was thinking and reading the same person.

It'd probably have helped if I read a little slower, but I was pretty invested in the plot and didn't want to slow down. It was paced very well.

I do think the ending was left a little unfinished as I felt like Meg had a little more ways to go and it ended kind of abruptly after Meg's "final revelation". Kat had hers a couple chapters earlier, but I felt like Meg's storyline could have used a little more closure because she got her turnaround so close to the ending.

All in all, I think this was a wonderful story of geekdom, friendship, and mental health and I would definitely recommend it to fans of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and other lighter contemporaries!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Vicky Who Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kat and Meg Conquer the World.

August 11, 2017 – Shelved