tee's Reviews > The Chronology of Water

The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch

bookshelves: e-pube, favourites, i-own

I am sitting here in a dazed stupor, sleep-deprived and my head buzzing with the tinnitus that comes with insomnia. I couldn't put this fucking book down. I don't know if I have connected with a book like I did this one since the days when I discovered Winterson. I devoured this book. I'm still not full, I want more. I read it in 50 page chunks without noticing the passing of time. 1am, 3am. It was less than ten degrees and yet I couldn't move to fetch another blanket. I paused at 5.30 this morning to cut up some apples to eat with a half cup of coconut yoghurt, which I spilt down the front of myself as I shovelled it in, too absorbed in Lidia's writing to concentrate on the whereabouts of my fork. I simultaneously savoured and rushed through this book, her words streaming through my head only to find that I was breathing fast, shallowly, emitting puffing bursts of exhaled air as chapters ended. Red cheeks, tingling legs. I'm still buzzing and the day has taken on that sublime surreal quality that comes with a combination of no sleep and a night of passionate indulgence. Everyone else can get fucked, I'm divorcing all my other imaginary spouses and locking myself up in a tower on an island where Lidia will read this book over and over to me until I die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronology of Water.

September 15, 2011 – Shelved
July 29, 2012 –
page 168
54.19% "Lidia has kept me awake since 2am this morning. I just can't quit."
Started Reading
July 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Keri You are my hero! I am reading this right now because of you and sadly I haven't liked any books I have read in the past three months or so until now. THANK YOU! So good, its crazy.

message 2: by tee (new) - rated it 5 stars

tee Isn't it amazing?! Have you finished it yet?

Keri I am almost done. Haven't read a book this quickly in a long time. I keep looking at her picture, I am blown away by this life.

message 4: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana Wow, how did I miss this review?? On the to-read shelf it goes, immediately.

message 5: by Anton (new) - added it

Anton Petrov Thanks for that great review! Actually I heard of this book from an interview with Chuck Palahniuk where he says he loves the book :) It goes to my to-read shelf immediately also!

Tuck her new fiction is out now Dora: A Headcase

message 7: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Fantastic review! Reading it next!

Debbie fantastic review. I just finished reading the book and can't even blurt out a review yet. Too wound up! Anyway, you nailed it!

message 9: by tee (new) - rated it 5 stars

tee Cheers Debbie, glad you loved the book too. It's been a while since I read a book that hit me as hard as this one did.

Debbie Best book ever, period. I finally wrote my review (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) but it lacks the visceral greatness of yours. I love to read the glowing reviews, just so I can get some euphoric recall!

Books, Brews & Booze As soon as you said "Winterson," I was sold on my desire to read this book!

message 12: by William (new) - added it

William This is the best review ever. I just watched her amazing TED talk and can't wait to read this book.

Books, Brews & Booze Oh that's awesome, I didn't know about the TED talk!

message 14: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky Buckley Wow - great review, can't wait to buy a copy and read this!

Crystal Fawn This is the best review I've seen in quite some time. I am thoroughly enjoying The Misfits Manifesto & already know I want to read more of Lidia's work. This book will be next & is partially thanks to your review.

Susan Reese just started it. Best review ever BTW!

message 17: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Strydom Fantastic review!