Becca's Reviews > Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir

Love, Loss, and What We Ate by Padma Lakshmi

Aug 11, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: 2017-booklist, audiobooks, authors-of-color, female-authors, non-fiction, summer-2017, world-lit
Read in August, 2017 , read count: 1

When I taught World Lit., my students did an author project and looked in depth at a non-American/non-British world author. Whenever I got to introducing Salman Rushdie, I'd tell them that somehow he married the model and Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi. Well, this book answered our question of "How on earth did that happen?!"

A little bit of a celebrity tell-all combined with lots of food references and descriptions...and those references and descriptions are not always about the actual food. Like a number of other reviewers, this book disappointed me. I loved the role that Lakshmi played on Top Chef. But, this book in all of its tell-all honesty, paints a very different picture of this woman. Many poor choices along the way and what she refers to as her daddy-issues resulted in a lot of hurt in her life and in the lives of those close to her.

I did definitely come away thinking about how I can get some more Indian food in my life. So she was successful on that front if she didn't coax a lot of empathy from me in regards to her hardships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Loss, and What We Ate.

08/11 marked as: read