Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)'s Reviews > Building Benjamin: Naomi's Journey

Building Benjamin by Barbara M. Britton

20217965

When I read Judges 19-21 for the first time I sat in stunned silence thinking What? This has to be the most bizarre story in the Bible! In fact, when my daughter and I came to Judges 19 in our reading plan this year I read it but allowed her to skip over it. Opting instead to explain how bad men had killed a man’s wife.

What Barbara Britton does in Building Benjamin is to pick up in Judges 21 with the abduction of virgins from the tribe of Ephraim and write how the girls and their families may have reacted to the events. Whereas her debut novel rewrote how Naaman was healed of leprosy, this second novel is set in biblical times, but apart from the stealing of virgins, takes place completely in the author’s imagination. I hesitate to label it as biblical fiction and instead would file it under historical fiction.

Building Benjamin is a quick read due to both its brevity (227 pages) and Britton’s fluid writing. Naomi’s initial response to Eliab her captor is plausible, as was her subsequent softening to his plight. While a host of other characters were necessary for the telling, the bulk of Britton’s character development rested with the male and female protagonist.

It took guts to select these chapters from Judges for the basis of a story! I applaud the author for her willingness to step out on a limb as well as her execution. Britton is honing her craft with each book and carving out a space for herself in Christian fiction.

I won this book in a giveaway hosted by Liz Tolzma. :) Thanks Liz!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Benjamin.

August 7, 2017 – Started Reading