Yolanda Decot's Reviews > Spadework

Spadework by Timothy Findley

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** Okay this book was a pain to read. I couldn't get behind any of the characters. I felt like they all needed a good hard slap. Jane is just messed up but you don't know why. I guess being rich makes you crazy. They never go into detail about how her and Griff met, their having Will, nothing about THEIR story. Troy being inserted into the story was just confusing and a waste. Okay, Jane. She is a woman who drinks too much, smokes too much, talks to herself too much, wants another child although she barely spends time with the one she has. She has sexual fantasies about a stranger though from the talk with her therapist I got the notion that she ISN'T sexual at all. Confusing.
Mercy's story and Luke & Runner's stories were a big waste to me. I didn't care about their characters and their fucked up lives. Point blank.
The ONLY part of this book that was even mildly interesting but STILL managed to lack any dept or character development was the affair Griff had with Jonathan. Why did Griff just avoid Will and Jane? Did Jonathan make him or was it his own shame that kept him away? Why did Jonathan leave his wife? Why didn't the author give us more dialog, more of what Griff was thinking, feeling? Would Griff have left Jonathan if he hadn't been told that story about Jonathan's son dying?
There were so many things the author could have expanded on that he didn't. That he wasted on FLUFF and meaningless characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spadework.

Started Reading