Bec_BookMagicReviews's Reviews > His Leading Lady

His Leading Lady by Maggie Dallen

Aug 10, 2017

bookshelves: book-magic-reviews, netgalley

Alice has a rule when it comes to dating and it's that men don't make it past the third date, but somehow Dr. Nicholas Bale is determined not to let her toss him aside as easily as she does other men. So, when Alice is forced to work with Nicholas to put together a charity benefit, she finds there's no avoiding her feelings. Will Nicholas be able to convince her that happy ever after is worth fighting for, or is her fear of forever after enough to hold her back from ever giving the man she fallen hard for a chance?

Having really enjoyed the first book of this series, I couldn't wait to read this story, and I've got to say that this story did not disappoint. Right from the beginning, this story was riveting, fast-paced and I was absolutely charmed by the hero the moment he was introduced. He wants the kind of love his parents have; the kind that lasts forever, but finding the right woman hasn't happened yet, even though his best friend has done everything she can to help him. The way this story started had me feeling sorry for the heroine, as she's been through so much in her life and doesn't believe in happy ever after. Will there ever be a man that can convince her that love is worth taking a risk for?

As for the dialogue, I loved the main characters back stories and every moment they conversed, as Nicholas does his best to win Alice over, even though she does everything in her power to ignore the pull between them. How long can Alice resist Nick? How far is Nick willing to go to get Alice to give him a chance? Moreover, the heroine is independent, stubborn and I liked how snarky she got when she felt backed into a corner, especially the moment when she felt Nick was getting too close and she's finding it harder and harder to resist him. I also liked how enthusiastic she was about her job and that she was willing to do whatever it takes to get the promotion she's hoping to get, even if it means teaming up with Nicholas. While the hero, he's confident, hard-working and I liked how determined he was to win the heroine over, even if it means using any means necessary to get Alice's attention. I also liked how kind and caring he is, which is proven by his interactions with the elderly woman he helps in the beginning and how he shows Alice that he's different to the men she normally goes for.

Overall, Ms. Dallen has penned a really good read in this book where the chemistry between this couple was intense; the secondary characters charmed me just as much as the main ones; and the ending had me hoping for the best for this couple. Moreover, I loved how far the heroine was willing to go to win back the hero. Using his trick back at him seemed the perfect way to get him to listen, especially since Alice loves him, which is proven by what she's organized for the charity benefit. Will Nick listen to what Alice has to say? I would recommend His Leading Lady by Maggie Dallen, if you enjoy books by authors Susan Scott Shelley, Jenny Halliday, Sonya Weiss and Jenna Bayley-Burke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Leading Lady.

Started Reading