Monica Edinger's Reviews > The Journey of Little Charlie

The Journey of Little Charlie by Christopher Paul Curtis

221952

I am on the record as being a huge fan of Curtis's Buxton books --from Elijah of Buxton (was on the Newbery Committee that gave it an honor) to Madman of Piney Woods (my starred Horn Book review). This one is as terrific as the others.

While the other two books featured black male protagonists in this one Curtis is featuring a young white male, the child of poor white pre-Civil War sharecroppers. After horrific events that leave him without family, Little Charlie Bobo (actually a twelve-year-old the size of an adult man) is forced to go with the local plantation's overseer to capture some runaway enslaved people. Little Charlie's voice and dialect is spot-on for a person of his class and situation; he has never been to school and can't read. That is, spot-on, as much as I can tell --- I'm certainly no expert on what it would sound like. Some have referenced Twain which makes sense as he certainly did use such dialog himself in his writing. Some have complained that it was challenging to read -- I found it quite easy. Curtis is able to give you such a great sense of his boy protagonists -- they are always a tad "fragile", pensive, and so so good at heart.

From the start Little Charlie is good, everything that happens early on makes that very clear. What he is also is racist, prejudiced, and extremely ignorant. His journey with the evil slave catcher is one of learning, growing, and changing --- what we would wish for all who are as limited in early experience as Charlie is.

There are some very dark moments in this book, extraordinary cruelty and brutality, yet all presented in a way that older children can definitely manage --- this is very much a middle grade book. I noticed someone writing that she planned to read it aloud to her 5th graders. I would be cautious with this, be mindful of the listeners --- who they are, their own lives, and how this could make them feel. I see it as for those ready for this harsh history lesson, say 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.

There are also some warm moments, Curtis's trademark humor, and description. I feel that I can recognize his style when he describes the slave catcher's rankness, a train ride for a boy who has never been on one, and the pain of enslaved people being retaken and separated. Most of all, there is the strength and power of the Canadians --- whites and blacks together.

This feels like a book of the moment, a #blacklivesmatter for the 19th century and today. Outstanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey of Little Charlie.

Finished Reading
August 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 10, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jordan Henrichs Pretty spot on Monica. I met Curtis at a school author visit during my first year of teaching. Was promoting Bud, Not Buddy. The man is awesome! Been a huge fan ever since.

Two things. 1) I 100% concur regarding audience. Like you, I believe, I teach 5th grade and would not read this to them. I don't think I could stomach it. We don't get farther than the Age of Exploration in social studies. I'm not sure my students would be emotionally ready for the cruelty in this. As accurately as it may be portrayed. Some may argue that that is precisely why this reading is necessary. Personally, I just wouldn't have the stomach for it.

And 2) I would be one who found the dialect difficult to read. It has nothing to do with accuracy. And it had nothing to do with comprehension. I understood everything just fine. More of an observation than anything.

Monica Edinger Maybe it is a question of previous experience with reading dialect?

Jordan Henrichs Oh, definitely! I don't have much... While I admit to struggling with it, I was thoroughly impressed. The consistency and accuracy of Curtis's 19th Centruy dialect is fantastic. And pretty unique in children's literature today.

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe This wasn't on my list, but now it is. Thanks, as always, for the thorough review, Monica. I so value your opinion.