*TUDOR^QUEEN*'s Reviews > David Bowie: A Life

David Bowie by Dylan  Jones

Aug 19, 2017

The music of David Bowie is something I've held in mild regard over the decades. I had an 8-track of "Young Americans" back in the seventies and who doesn't love Space Oddity?!! I also remember enjoying the strains of "Modern Love" and "Let's Dance" in the 80's. I own a "Greatest Hits" CD of Bowie and that is the extent of his importance in my life (I'm primarily a major Beatles fan). However, this biography of David Bowie in its oral history format has affected me so much that I am prompted to read his other biographies as well as delve into the treasure trove of his music library.

I was skeptical about whether I would like the oral history format of this offering, but this actually connected with me far more than I think the standard biography would. This was a mammoth book of over 500 pages (no pictures) comprised of Bowie memories served up by friends, band members, business colleagues, wives, lovers, etc...to tell the life story of Bowie. Nothing is more genuine than the direct words of the people who knew and loved Bowie. These are just a handful of some of the people who added their recollections to this oral history:

Tony Visconti (producer of many of Bowie's albums)
Angela Bowie (first wife)
Iman (second wife)
Bono (U2 singer)
Kate Moss (model)
Paul McCartney (former Beatle and music legend)
Peter Frampton (childhood classmate and fellow musician)

I feel like I have been reading and enjoying this for a very long time as because of its oral history format, I felt comfortable bouncing in an out of this book to read other books when needed or desired. It begins with his youth in Bromley, England and transitions to his marriage to Angie and the birth of their son as he cannily transforms into his alter ego of Ziggy Stardust. There were many lovers along the way, but as the book nears its close, he finds perfect love and happiness with his second wife Iman. It was very poignant reading the passages in reaction to Bowie's death, and how he strove to complete his final album "Blackstar" as a parting gift.

I came away from this book in awe of Bowie's high intellect, capacity for friendship/kindness, fearless sense of adventure, and strength. He was certainly a multifaceted talent and extraordinary human being. Although I still have all those other Bowie biographies to read, something tells me that I may just have already read the best one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Bowie.

August 9, 2017 – Started Reading
August 9, 2017 – Shelved
August 9, 2017 –
August 13, 2017 –
August 16, 2017 –
August 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Great review. I love Bowie so much. I'm also trying to find a good biography.

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Thanks a lot, Jennifer. It really was a pleasure to read with its oral history style from the people closest to him. :-)

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Thanks a lot, Jennifer. It really was a pleasure to read with its oral history style from the people closest to him. :-)"

Can't wait. (: