Dan Koboldt's Reviews > Planetside

Planetside by Michael Mammay

When an old friend asks a veteran colonel to undertake a mission at distant Cappa Base, the mission seems straightforward enough. Find the high councilor's son. Write the report. Come home. But when Colonel Butler arrives at Cappa base, nothing goes smoothly. The commanding officer doesn't trust him, and information from people with boots on the ground is scant at best. Butler still has a job to do. The more he investigates, the more he comes to realize that there's a much deeper conspiracy. Uncovering the truth not only puts his life in danger, but also threatens to escalate a war of occupation into a full-scale nuclear conflict.

I first encountered this book at its early stages, so it was a thrill to read the published version and see how far it's come (thanks to Harper Voyager for the advance copy).

I love the voice. It puts you in the head-space of a veteran officer who's seen a lot and knows how the world works. He's smart. His rank and reputation as a war hero grant him a lot of leeway in his investigation; he uses it well. At the same time, he's clearly got his own demons. The writing is very tight, and the tension escalates steadily. I found myself looking forward to reading more every night, even though I already knew how the story ended.

My only real nitpick is a bit of a spoiler, so I'll put it vaguely. People of a certain profession in this book make some unethical choices that I find problematic. It's an unfortunate trope that's pervasive in SFF and my feelings on it are well known. But hey, that's my pet peeve and most readers won't even notice it. They'll be too engaged in the conspiracy and the gun battles and the locked-on missiles. That's a good thing.

Overall, PLANETSIDE is a compelling military sci-fi story and a spectacular debut for Michael Mammay. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planetside.

August 9, 2017 – Shelved
August 9, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2018 – Started Reading
July 12, 2018 –
page 100
26.04% "I smell a cover-up"
July 13, 2018 –
page 192
50.0% "Flying through this book. Wow, it's good."
July 15, 2018 –
page 210
54.69% "No one needs a colonel throwing grenades. Ha!"
July 16, 2018 –
page 280
72.92% "And then there was much rejoicing. Whoops, I mean gunfire."
July 20, 2018 –
page 350
91.15% "In the final stretch. Don't want it to end."
July 25, 2018 –
page 380
98.96% "Two words: maximum firepower"
July 28, 2018 – Finished Reading