Becca's Reviews > Nine, Ten: A September 11 Story

Nine, Ten by Nora Raleigh Baskin

Aug 09, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-booklist, female-authors, middle-grade, summer-2017
Read in August, 2017 , read count: 1

I remember exactly where I was on 9.11.2001. College East Apartments at Hope College, watching the news as I ate my breakfast before my first class of the day. Once the 2nd airplane hit, I called my Gramma to tell her to turn on the news. I distinctly remember the feeling of anxious fear. It felt like we sat on the couch for the next week watching and wondering what had happened to our world.

But, for the students in high school this year, many of them weren't even born yet. While 9.11.2001 seems not so very long ago for my generation and older, it is a historical event for these students. One that they feel the effects of but did not personally experience.

This book follows 4 middle school students in the two days leading up to 9.11. Relatable as they navigate the typical challenges of middle school life and then the confusion and horror and pain and fear and heroism of 9.11 is added to that. I loved Nora Raleigh Baskin's writing in her book Anything But Typical and this one doesn't disappoint either. It will be interesting to see what else is published in the coming years for middle grade and YA readers on this topic and event but this is definitely a strong start.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine, Ten.

08/09 marked as: read

message 1: by Nora (new)

Nora Baskin Becca..thank you for this beautiful review..and for sharing your powerful story. No one will forget that day..or the blue sky. There are other books..The Memory of Things by Gae Polisner is YA and another MG is by Tom Rogers Eleven are a couple special ones.
I'm still wonder what will happen to the world..but thank you for reading and caring. .and getting it. nora