Flavio Matani's Reviews > Walkaway

Walkaway by Cory Doctorow

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read August 9, 2017 to August 20, 2017.

It took me a little bit to get into the world of the book, but once it grabbed me I couldn’t let go until I finished it. The high-tech near-future world of the book is in the hands of a few mega-rich and the rest struggle to survive. Four young people decide to join the ‘walk-aways’, people who leave mainstream society and set out on their own. The strife that follows, as well as the main cause of that strife (which you only find out half-way through the book) defines the plot of the book. Some of it really stretches your suspension of disbelief to almost breaking point but it all is quite well done and holds together. The main characters are well drawn, believable for the most part. I enjoyed this book a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walkaway.

Finished Reading
August 9, 2017 – Started Reading
August 9, 2017 – Shelved
August 9, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction
August 9, 2017 – Shelved as: science-fiction
August 19, 2017 –
65.0% "'Estoy aquí por loco, no por pendejo...'

“That’s why you never hear politicians talk about ‘citizens,’ it’s all ‘taxpayers,’ as though the salient fact of your relationship to the state is how much you pay. Like the state was a business, citizenship was a loyalty program that rewarded you for your custom with roads and health care. Zottas cooked the process so they get all the money and own the political process.""
August 20, 2017 – Finished Reading