Russell Atkinson's Reviews > Trail of the Spellmans

Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Aug 08, 2017

This is the 3rd Spellman mystery I've read (actually listened to) and in my opinion the best. At least half the credit goes to narrator Christina Moore who is a fabulous actress. She does at least a dozen voices and is somehow able to make each one immediately identifiable while still maintaining impeccable comic timing. Izzy, the narrating character, at times channels Paula Poundstone. She is almost reasonable and sane in this fifth installment in the series, a departure in that respect.

There are no murders but there are several mysteries apropos a San Francisco family private eye business. Cheating spouses, helicopter parents, and unexplained behavior by the Spellman clan itself among them. The author makes them all intriguing enough to keep you speculating while you're laughing at the dialog.

I can pick at a few things as I usually do. For example, Izzy shows someone the Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) in order to point out a Penal Code section. Huh? The Penal Code and CCP are two separate, unrelated codes. Neither one is the same as the Code of Criminal Procedure, either. The few peccadilloes of that nature did not get in the way of the story at all. If you want blood and sex, try something else, but if you enjoy a humorous mystery, this is your ticket.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trail of the Spellmans.

Started Reading