Carrie's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: netgalley

Angie Dovage is like most people would be, a bit curious as to who her new neighbors are and what they will be like. When Angie runs into Reece Fernandez at the bus stop her curiosity is piqued even more by the good looking strange boy. Angie takes it upon herself to follow Reece and find out just what is behind the mysterious new boy.

What Angie ends up finding about Reece would send most people running and screaming. Reece is not a normal human boy, he's a harbinger of death. When a death happens Reece feeds off the energy of the dying due to a curse he's been living with for centuries. But Reece is not the only supernatural in town and Angie finds herself in danger with Reece vowing to protect her.

The one thing that I would complain about with Black Bird of the Gallows is that starting off it definitely had that feel of let's check off all the young adult fantasy expectations. The beginning of the story had flashes of Twilight to it which had me wondering if I'd find any originality buried within the pages. Of course too that brings me to the warning of the instalove that bother a lot of people since it's a typical oh the new boy is cute start but eventually there are more reasons added to the relationship.

Thankfully the story of the battle between good and evil within the pages of this one did bring a bit of newness to it which made this one an interesting read. After reading this one I'll certainly be looking at crows and bees a bit differently so the author certainly got a bit creative with the supernatural side of the story which ended up making this one worth the read instead of just checking off what is expected in a young adult novel.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

August 8, 2017 – Shelved
August 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 13, 2017 – Started Reading
August 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lauren Is there the start of a love triangle in this too then? Since it mirrors other PNRs? Not sure if this is a series or not.

Carrie Lauren wrote: "Is there the start of a love triangle in this too then? Since it mirrors other PNRs? Not sure if this is a series or not."

No, it was the awkward girl meets new boy and suddenly is attracted to him and of course there's something special about him story that had me thinking of other books in the beginning.