Natshane's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: arc

Meg Kassel's debut novel was packed with thrill, romance and a chase unlike any other. Delve into the world of paranormal and be prepared for the rush as the author delivered a gothic horror novel that is both thrilling and chilling in this original story of ancient mythical creatures and the battle of good versus evil - featuring the harbingers of death.

Angie Dovage is a survivor of a childhood horror story that made her a victim of the rumors headlining the news. Now that she lives with her dad, next to a house with the history of a family massacre, you can't blame her for being curious when the new family in town, the Fernandezes moved in into the house that has been vacant since the tragedy. And that includes stalking a particularly handsome young man, Reece, with her dad's binoculars. But the athletic and charming teen that is slowly taking over her heart is holding back a grave secret, one that not only threatens to ruin their newfound relationship but also destroys the very people she loves - can you fall in love with a harbinger of death?

"The world reeks of death and pain, and you smell like life and joy and everything I can never have."

The author takes forbidden romance to a whole new level. I am incredibly impressed with the storyline, albeit predictable, the writing was enchanting and pulled me in from the start! I am so over forbidden romance ever since my Twihard years, but the intense chemistry between Angie and Reece was hard to ignore and even harder to not fall in love with.

Angie is an independent heroine that you just can't help but look up to. Given what she endured in her past, I loved the fact that she is discovering herself in this book and that she is brave enough to stand up for herself and own her decisions. Which brings me to my favorite character, Reece. Unlike the typical alpha male, Reece does not dictate or in any way forces Angie into making decisions that favor himself. Even when disaster strikes, he does not just sweeps in and save the day - a harbinger of death and all.

There are so many things about the book that I fell in love with - the dynamics of Angie's friendship with Deno and Lacey, Angie's relationship with her father, uncovering the mystery behind the ancient curse and the whole idea of beekeepers and harbingers, it was the ending that made me almost cried happy tears. From the start to the finish line, it was definitely a helluva roller coaster!

Thank you Entangled Teen and the author for the reviewing opportunity! I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

August 8, 2017 – Shelved