Scooper Speaks's Reviews > Royal Street

Royal Street by Suzanne  Johnson

Sep 15, 2011

Read on January 23, 2012

Favorite Lines: "Mortals view death in terms of black and white--you are either alive, or you are not. But between them--between live and death and eternity--there is a small gray area, one that the humans have no knowledge of. That is where we reside, vampires and rabids and a few of the older, inexplicable creatures that still exist in this world. The humans cannot understand us, because we live by a different set of rules." (p. 94)

I've been reading reviews of Royal Street and it seems people are bothered by the setting and time. I did not live in the area, nor was I personally impacted by the events which took place during Hurricane Katrina. Yes, I cared and I was sad and horrified by the effect the hurricane had on the area, but it did nothing to dim my appreciation for Suzanne Johnson's latest book, Royal Street.

The story started off pretty slow. However, once the action started it just got better and better. I guess it's similar to a hurricane. You know how first you hear news of a hurricane on the way and the wait about kills ya? But when it hits there's debris flying everywhere. Nothing is safe until it passes and it's time to pick up the messy pieces left by the hurricane. Johnson uses that same technique.

The story slowly picks up speed as more elements are introduced. More story lines and characters add to the fast rotation. It begins to get dirty as the truth tries to force its way out and the mystery is investigated. The story whips round and round until it stops allowing the reader to take stock of who (or what) survived.

No, I'm not going to tell you what happened. I will tell you that I enjoyed the story and hope--if you decide to read it--you will too. Why? No it's not a deep story filled with hidden meaning. I don't care about that stuff. I'm interested in being entertained and transported to another world. Johnson did that for me with Royal Street.

From a sexy ghost to shapeshifter determined to keep his ability secret, the paranormal aspects of Johnson's world have been added to New Orleans like a clear overlay on a projector. It makes the city richer by creating a hidden depth. The heroine is low on the magical totem pole, but she is smarter than most people give her credit. Okay, maybe she's a little bit lucky too. I didn't love her, but I still l managed to get excited about the book, even though it isn't a romance.

The romance thread is pretty iffy, but the mystery aspect of the story kept things chugging along. Expect to be introduced to the political world of magic users found in the urban fantasy world of Royal Street. Don't look for an overtly romantic story cause you won't find it. Sure there's romance and sexual tension, but there is no happily ever after. On the other hand, there is a book two (River Road) which will be released in hard cover in November.
Scooper Speaks
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.

01/23/2012 page 78
23.0% "The first few chapters were SLOW. It's picked up and is getting pretty interesting."