Claire (Book Blog Bird)'s Reviews > Moonrise

Moonrise by Sarah Crossan

bookshelves: contemporary

'They think I hurt someone.
But I didn't. You hear?
Coz people are gonna be telling you
all kinds of lies.
I need you to know the truth.'

Oh my god. Sarah Crossan has hit it out of the ballpark yet again with this beautiful story of Joe Moon who travels to Texas from New York to see his older brother, Ed, who is on Death Row. But it's also a book about love in all its forms, and about life and injustice and hope in hopeless situations.

I don't know how she does it, because I am agressively opposed to free verse poetry (in fact, if I'm honest, I hate all poetry) but her words are just so beautiful and readable and her characters are so real and complex and vulnerable, I literally can't get enough of this author's writing.

There is romance in the book, but it complements the main story instead of overshadowing it or seeming to be included for the sake of it.

While Moonrise is a criticism of police brutality and of capital punishment, but it never goes overboard with condemnation. This bookshould be required reading for everyone (*coughs* Daily Mail *coughs*) who has ever said 'Bring back hanging'. Crossan pitches her arguments perfectly for maximum effect using exactly the right words to leave you feeling like you've been put through the emotional wringer and stillbegging for more. I read Moonrise in one heartbreaking sitting and two weeks later I'm still thinking about it.

I can smell a Carnegie Medal in the air. Just saying.

I was given a copy of Moonriseby the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonrise.

August 8, 2017 – Started Reading