Duncan's Reviews > Zima Blue and Other Stories

Sep 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from September 15 to November 10, 2011

I often wonder at what is it that makes some authors better at short stories than others. AR can craft a superb space opera, of that there is no doubt, but his short stories are a mixed bag, some are excellent, others I don't quite get. But then surely that's the beauty and purpose of short stories, to be more adventurous and therefor not all will please all of the readers every time.

Some of these - like in the companion volume Galactic North - are effectively out-takes edited from the Revelation Space series, others feel like the meat of a novel that never quite made it - three stories that flow seamlessly one to another - you may wonder why this is 3 short stories here rather than a novella. Also the many 'multiverse' themed stories were not as good as the rest. Surely we've heard enough of quamtum mechanics now, not to every tome have a character explain - 'oh it's like that can in a box you were telling me about'

Personally, although I really enjoyed many of the stories in this volume, I look forward to reading a full novel next time. More SPACE OPERA please

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zima Blue and Other Stories.