Sara's Reviews > Birthmarked

Sep 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from August 04 to 05, 2012

Birthmarked was an okay book. It falls in with the scads of other three star books I've read this year.

It's yet another dystopian book about the have's and the have not's and what happens when the have not's see what the other side has. It's a world where teens are having babies and babies are a hot commodity. Gaia's a midwife, which is probably the last thing I'd want to be.

The book starts grippingly enough with her delivering her first baby by herself—with no assistance. Then having to turn the baby over to the mysterious Enclave. Within 90 minutes!?!

That 90-minute rule completely baffled me. Surely, midwives need to stay for more than an hour with a woman who has just delivered. Unless childbirth is magically easy in this world. But there are a lot of unrealities with pregnancies in this book. If you're a teen, you probably wouldn't notice it, but I'd like a book about a midwife to be factchecked a little better.

The book is punctuated by other similar seemingly ridiculous things. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.

08/04/2012 page 200