Lindsay - Traveling Sister's Reviews > When You Disappeared

When You Disappeared by John Marrs

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, traveling-sister-read

3 stars. This novel had such potential with a highly enticing premise, however, the extreme lack of believability meant the story fell flat for me.

I enjoyed the way the story unfolded. The novel was told through Catherine and Simon’s perspectives ranging from 28 years ago to a present-day meeting. The author, John Marrs, does a great job revealing pieces of the story in a suspenseful and intriguing way, all the while making me curious to see how the story would play out. Unfortunately, many of the situations, particularly those involving Simon seemed highly unlikely and absurd. Believability is a huge requirement for my reading enjoyment - I have a hard time truly immersing myself within a story that isn’t realistic (the “believability police” within me kicks in quickly!). My reading mind can stretch to accept slightly exaggerated situations, but the list is fairly long of the things that I found far-fetched within this novel.

There were some very serious parts to this story that really pulled at my emotions and maternal instincts. I had a hard time reading some pages as there is such a devastating family loss that deeply affected me.

Overall, I found this to be an averagely enjoyable read with nothing that truly made it stand out other than its lack of believability.

A big thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and John Marrs for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review!

To find this review along with our Traveling Sister Read review, please visit Brenda and Norma’s fabulous blog at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Disappeared.

August 8, 2017 – Shelved
August 8, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 10, 2017 – Started Reading
August 12, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Traveling Sister Read with Norma, Brenda and Kaceey!! 😄"
August 14, 2017 –
August 14, 2017 –
August 15, 2017 –
August 16, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 16, 2017 – Shelved as: traveling-sister-read
August 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Kendall Curious to see your final thoughts on this one. Hopefully you guys it enjoyed it more then me 😑.

Susanne  Strong I'm curious too... ! :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Kendall and Susanne - looks like we enjoyed it a little more than you did, however, the "believability police" were in full effect on this one - so many things were very unrealistic!

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Good review Lindsay. Hope your next book is a 5 star!

Susanne  Strong Great review Lindsay! Glad you found this one entertaining and were able to enjoy it. :)

Susanne  Strong Lindsay wrote: "Kendall and Susanne - looks like we enjoyed it a little more than you did, however, the "believability police" were in full effect on this one - so many things were very unrealistic!"

Ha! Just a little unrealistic! :)

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Excellent review, dear friend! I loved the detailed honesty! Sorry you all didn't enjoy it, but you saved me from a less than desirable read. xo

message 8: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Great review, Lindsay! This was on my wishlist (not my eReader, thank hevvins) - but I have taken it off. Too many other fabulous books to read! :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Lindsay! I am thinking maybe it was okay that I didn't get a chance to read this one! Missed chatting with you though! xo

message 10: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Another great review, Lindsay!

Kaceey Great review Lindsay! Absolutely love your believability police! As always I enjoyed reading and chatting with you and Brenda on this one!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Tina wrote: "Good review Lindsay. Hope your next book is a 5 star!"

Thanks very much Tina!! I hope your next book is fabulous too!! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Linda wrote: "Excellent review, dear friend! I loved the detailed honesty! Sorry you all didn't enjoy it, but you saved me from a less than desirable read. xo"

Thanks Linda! I never like writing less than glowing reviews, but honesty is important! I strongly suggest you skip this one - I don't think you would enjoy it. Hope you are loving your current book! :-)

Kendall Great review Lindsay. I am glad you enjoyed it more then us! 😊👍🏻

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Jaline wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! This was on my wishlist (not my eReader, thank hevvins) - but I have taken it off. Too many other fabulous books to read! :)"

Thank you Jaline! I feel bad discouraging you, but I really don't think it was worth rushing out to read. Far too many AMAZING books out there. Hope you are reading something wonderful right now!! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Lindsay! I am thinking maybe it was okay that I didn't get a chance to read this one! Missed chatting with you though! xo"

Thanks Norma! I wouldn't feel bad about missing out on this one - it was just ok for me. I'm loving our current Traveling Sister Read!!! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Deanna wrote: "Another great review, Lindsay!"

Thanks so much De!! :-)

message 18: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce Thanks for not adding another book to my TBR pile! lol! Hope our next one is a five star read.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Kaceey wrote: "Great review Lindsay! Absolutely love your believability police! As always I enjoyed reading and chatting with you and Brenda on this one!"

Thanks Kaceey! Sorry I was a little late to chatting about this one with my weekend away. It was still great discussing at the end! Always a pleasure to read along with you and the sisters!!! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Kendall wrote: "Great review Lindsay. I am glad you enjoyed it more then us! 😊👍🏻"

Thanks Kendall! There were times I thought about putting it down, but I plugged through for my sisters and it turned around a little for me. Looking forward to our next read together!!! :-)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Marialyce wrote: "Thanks for not adding another book to my TBR pile! lol! Hope our next one is a five star read."

No problem Marialyce! Thanks so much! I hope you are reading something wonderful right now! (Looking forward to your review on Ginny Moon!)

message 22: by JanB (new)

JanB Lindsay, ah, I hear you on the "believability" factor :-) Sometimes it's just not good enough to suspend disbelief. Hope your next read is a better one!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister JanB wrote: "Lindsay, ah, I hear you on the "believability" factor :-) Sometimes it's just not good enough to suspend disbelief. Hope your next read is a better one!"

Thanks Jan! I have a hard time with books that aren't realistic - I can only stretch my imagination so far. ;-)

message 24: by JanB (new)

JanB Lindsay wrote: "JanB wrote: "Lindsay, ah, I hear you on the "believability" factor :-) Sometimes it's just not good enough to suspend disbelief. Hope your next read is a better one!"

Thanks Jan! I have a hard tim..."

Lindsay, me too! But if the writing and story is absolutely stellar I can forgive an author :-)

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Very good critique, Lindsay. It's funny--sometimes the believability factor annoys the heck out of me and sometimes I can easily ride along with it. Sorry that this was just "averagely" (like that new word) for you!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Thanks so much Christine! Believability tends to be rather important for me but there are times when I can let things slide and go along with it. Glad you like my new word - haha!! Hope you are reading something great!! 😊

message 27: by Christine (last edited Sep 10, 2017 07:06PM) (new)

Christine I'm reading Robert Bryndza's new book. Jury's still out...

Rachel I completely agree with the believability issues!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Hi Rachel! Too bad we couldn’t look past those. Hope you are reading something wonderful now!! 😊