Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)'s Reviews > The Invasion of the Tearling

The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

This book picks up where the first left off. Kelsea is trying to stall an invasion of the Mort, with the evil Red Queen at the forefront. However, there is SO MUCH MORE going on, and it surprised the heck out of me. New characters are introduced and ones from the last book have POVs. My favorite was Lily. Kelsea begins to have "fugues," where she goes into trances and appears to start seeing the past, pre-crossing.

People who had issues with the first book and it's vagueness about the dystopian qualities, the lack of world-building, will find more answers, but whether it will be enough is up for debate. We get to see a lot of the world pre-crossing, which was still several decades in our future. Technology was huge, people had chips, machines and computers helped with housework, security, medicine, etc.

We get to see an insurgent revolution through Lily's eyes and she becomes such an amazing heroine. I loved her!

Kelsea was still kind of crusty and not your typical heroine, which I appreciated. But she is maturing and even changing physically, which is a mystery. She comes into new abilities and is more isolated than ever.

Although the book took a little bit to get going, it became a page-turner. I adored it. There are MANY revelations and plot twists and things even get a little sci-fi! (I won't say anymore.)

Previous post:

OMG this was just amazing! I admit, it took a little while to really get into, but by the end, I was in tears (hehe) and swooning over the awesomeness. Review to come.

August 7, 2017: The first two books are currently $1.99 on US Amazon!

The Queen of the Tearling #1): 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invasion of the Tearling.

August 7, 2017 – Shelved
November 18, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Shelly! :)

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hiller I tried finding this at the library, but they only had book three. I can sometimes start at book 2 of a series, but book three seems dangerous.

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Shelly! :)"

Thanks Aisling! :) xoxo

message 4: by Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) (last edited Nov 29, 2017 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) Andrew wrote: "I tried finding this at the library, but they only had book three. I can sometimes start at book 2 of a series, but book three seems dangerous."

Did you read the first one? I wouldn't skip this one. It's very important to the story, I thought. So many good things. At least to me! :) Sometimes this series is on sale too, for Kindle. Right now, it's not, though. :(

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Hiller No. None yet. I saw your review while I was in the library hunting for my next gym book and thought... Let's give this a try.

But they only had Book III so I wound up choosing something else. I will put the series on my list though :)