megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince

The Beast Within by Serena Valentino

it was ok

This one was rough.

There's not a lot here and what is, wasn't great for me.
Please know, this hurts my heart to write this. I have all the books in this series and am obsessed with the covers and naked books.

I have read the first book in the series, Fairest of All, and gave it four stars. I don't know if maybe the fact that Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale made me judge this one differently...

First, let's get this right out of the way: I hated the Prince/Beast.

There was nothing redeemable about him and his story arc was completely flat. I don't feel he evolved as a character AT ALL. Spoiler Alert: Belle ends up with him and you're like, NOOOOOOO!

While reading his character, all I could picture in my head was Joffrey Baratheon, and any GOT fan knows that is not a pretty picture.

The story itself was all over the place. Some parts of the book were taken directly from the Disney movie (the original animated one that I have watched 2,568,401 times) which normally wouldn't bother me, but the dialogue was exact and it didn't explore any of the scenes at all.

It felt so rushed and there was no heart behind it. Picture: Beast saving Belle from wolves, here's a library, Gaston & Beast fight, a kiss, THE END -- in about 20-pages with no coherent connection or exploration of ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc.

One thing I did enjoy was the friendship of the Prince and Gaston prior to him being cursed. That was interesting and I thought that added to the original story in a unique way.

Even though this one let me down, I am definitely planning to read the rest of the books in the series. Maybe the others will work for me more as I am not as attached to the stories and characters. I would recommend this for a MUCH younger audience; perhaps tweens wouldn't feel as bent with it as I was!

Thanks for reading my rant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beast Within.

August 7, 2017 – Shelved
August 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 8, 2018 – Started Reading
page 80
37.21% "Retellathon Book #1 💖🦁🌹🤓"
page 127
59.07% "Ugh. The Prince is so very Joffrey Baratheon. It's exhausting!!"
page 170
July 9, 2018 –
page 203
July 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Better luck next read!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Better luck next read!" Hahaha, thanks, love! It was super short, that's always helpful when you don't like something.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Too! Bad about this book! I adore this tale so much. Fabulously reviewed though.😉💖

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Too! Bad about this book! I adore this tale so much. Fabulously reviewed though.😉💖" I really enjoy this series and will continue to read them. I just needed more from my Beast ;)

message 5: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab honest review Megs! :)

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab honest review Megs! :)" Thank you, Aisling! It is so hard to review when you don't love something. I appreciate your kind words!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Have you read a curse so dark and lonely? I feel like it is a good retelling so far. I am 70% through it.

megs_bookrack Rachel wrote: "Have you read a curse so dark and lonely? I feel like it is a good retelling so far. I am 70% through it." I preorded it but haven't gotten to it yet! I have heard it is incredible. Thank you for the reminder - I need to fit that in soon!!! I can't wait to see your final thoughts, Rachel!

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Any character like Joffrey Baratheon would be a turn off. 🙂

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "Any character like Joffrey Baratheon would be a turn off. 🙂" RIGHT!? The absolute worst!!! ;)