Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > Fidget Spinners Destroyed My Family

Fidget Spinners Destroyed My Family by George Billions

28206267

bookshelves: general-fiction

This story, which seems like quite a simple and straight forward tale on the surface, is brutally clever, and I recommend you don’t read this review or others before reading the book yourself. So… what are you doing still reading this? I can’t recommend Fidget Spinners Destroyed My Family enough, so stop wasting you time reading my version of the truth about this book and instead spend your time reading George Billions’ highly entertaining story.

So, I guess this is the point where I’m supposed to use those words: “Spoiler Alert”.

First off, I’d never heard of Fidget Spinners, despite the toys apparently being the latest hugely-popular craze, but I’m behind the times, so I had to Google them to find out what they were. Also, upon reading the blurb of this book, I had presumed it wasn’t actually a literal representation of the dangers of Fidget Spinners, but then I read an interview with the author where he was talking about the very real dangers of these toys, so I started thinking, ‘Oh – this book is more serious than I had been led to believe’, having originally thought there was a tongue-in-cheekness comic undertone to the dangers of the toys. And then I read the book, and came to completely different conclusions.

Damn, this is a clever story.

It begins with this paragraph: “What follows is a true account of how fidget spinners ultimately brought about the complete destruction of a family. Though names and faces have been changed, every effort has been made to present the story to you in as accurate a way as possible.
May this serve as a cautionary tale.” And the afterword tells you more about how the protagonist Karen first emailed the author of this book, and how he chose to write her story.

I’m guessing that George Billions is a fan of the film Fargo, which begins with the statement: “This is a true story...”

And when you read Billions’ author biography and discover he writes under many pseudonyms and that: “He's written everything from fake product reviews to unqualified fitness advice, steamy romance novels to straight-up keyword spam” and you also discover he’s stated: “If you ask Google who invented the spatula, you get an article I wrote a few years ago about a guy named John Spaduala”, not to mention that his first novel was called ‘Tony the Liar’, you start to get an understanding of what George Billions is all about; and, to me, it makes him feel more like a concept artist like Bob and Roberta Smith, than a mere author.

‘Hey, Harry,’ I hear you cry, ‘enough about the author and perceptions of truth already! What did you think of the story?’ Well, if I’ve heard you correctly, you haven’t been paying attention, ‘cos I’m telling you about the book, and if you don’t pay attention to the book when you read it, you’ll be coming to different conclusions yourself.

It’s perhaps quite challenging for a male author to write a female first-person narrative; at least, it’s challenging to write it extremely well, and Billions succeeds hands down. I marvelled at all the little details he’s added which could easily be overlooked when it’s such an ‘easy read’. It’s also very challenging for a writer to succeed at telling a story from a delusional perspective, where the truth of the story can be found in what the protagonist isn’t saying. That’s why it may be easy for readers to overlook just how accomplished Billions’ writing is. If you don’t pause to think about the undercurrent of this novel, it could just come across as an easy-read and a simplistic story. Dig a little bit deeper and you’ll discover it’s a hell of a lot more.

I’m looking forward to reading more by this author – although seeing as he writes under various pseudonyms, maybe I’ve already read more by him and don’t know it.

4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fidget Spinners Destroyed My Family.

August 7, 2017 – Shelved
August 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 3, 2017 – Started Reading
September 3, 2017 – Shelved as: general-fiction
September 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Rebecca Gransden Surprising depths, this one :)

Harry Whitewolf Rebecca wrote: "Surprising depths, this one :)"

Absolutely!