Katherine's Reviews > Battle Royale

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

bookshelves: the-elite

I have read this book twice in the last two years both times within two days and I can guarantee that I'll read it a time or two (or three) again in the future (NERD!). The very thought of being 15-year-olds and being thrust into a situation where you have to kill or be killed, your best friends become your enemies and people you have grown up with are suddenly crazed killers is utterly terrifying. There are 42 students, 42 Japanese names (and if you're not Japanese, therein lies guaranteed confusion) and 42 different personalities that are thrown at you within the first few chapters. It's overwhelming and somewhat confusing, yet somehow it becomes very easy to distinguish who is who. It is even easier to select which students deserve pity, which students deserve sympathy, which students are morally despicable and which students one truly hopes survive. Out of these 42 students, by the rules of The Program, only one can survive. Yikes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Royale.

Finished Reading
April 23, 2008 – Shelved
April 23, 2008 – Shelved as: the-elite

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Trudi "Lord of the Flies" meets "The Most Dangerous Game" meets the gruesome, bloody stylings of Quentin Tarantino... on acid who killed Stephen King and tossed his body into BTK's backyard.

Yeah that just about sums it up! Could not have said it better myself if I had tried :)