ambsreads's Reviews > Girls Made of Snow and Glass

Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, high-fantasy, magic, romance

MINI REVIEW ON MY BLOG, GO CHECK IT OUT FOR BETTER FORMATTING

I was really expecting to like Girls Made of Snow and Glass. Unfortunately, this was not the case at all. I would be involved and captivated in sections and in others, I could feel myself itching to take a nap instead. The story just wasn’t vibrant enough to keep my attention. I’m sure this is a book someone else would love and find themselves in, but I just couldn’t care about Lynet and Mina during their separate plot lines.

Both girls have their trials and tribulations, the earlier trials that Mina goes through I actually enjoyed. I was really looking forward to some vindictiveness, but I don’t read blurbs so this may be my own fault.

The title is to be taken literally, not metaphorically. I was taking it metaphorically, so I was pretty confused when information was revealed to the audience. I was shocked. I was expecting a Snow White retelling with a twist, instead, I just got twists that left me bored. I believe the story fell apart around 50%, where the climax occurs but it’s not where the plot takes off. The plot actually comes to a standstill and the mystical sense of the story makes it difficult to really push the story further.

I’m not sure how to describe it, it just fell flat.The characters are bland as well, in my opinion. Both Lynet (Snow White) and Mina (the Evil Queen) were flat characters. They both read the exact same way, with no substance and just decision-making that ultimately never occurred. I don’t really have much to say on them, either. The romance fell flat as well. Around 50% (when I just completely gave up and skimmed the book) the romance hadn’t even formed. There were hints but there was absolutely nothing. Overall, the writing was magic, the plot was

Overall, the writing was magic, the plot was non-existent and the characters were bland and way too similar to distinguish voices among. I went in expecting a Snow White retelling where the prince was going to be a girl (aka a super amazing f/f romance) but that is not what this book is unfortunately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Made of Snow and Glass.

August 7, 2017 – Shelved
September 15, 2017 – Shelved as: magic
September 15, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
September 16, 2017 – Started Reading
September 16, 2017 –
10.0% "ok so now i'm into this hardcore omb"
September 17, 2017 –
51.0% "now the snow white element is really kicking in"
September 18, 2017 –
68.0% "i'm so bored"
September 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ boooooo. no bueno.

Asha I just finished this book. I thought it was refreshing how the stepmother wasn't evil. However, I didn't like how their magic had no boundaries. It just really bothered me that Lynet could make coins and food from Snow and they wouldn't melt or anything unless she willed it. That was just a major hang up for me. And, like you, the romance was a bit boring. There didn't seem to be anything there and I'm glad it wasn't a huge part of the storyline. I did think it was clever how the stepmother (view spoiler)