Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

11/13/2011 page 51
22.0% "Reading so much YA lately has ill-prepared me for those adult books where you have to actually, you know, pay attention and think." 6 comments

message 1: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa How do you like his writing? Hope you enjoy it :) I'm planning to read his Blade Runner, so I'm really curious.

Wendy Darling His writing is very interesting, Simcsa. It's very smart, with rapid, twisty dialogue that you really have to pay attention to. He makes up a lot of words, and unlike some sci-fi or fantasy writers, you can intuitively understand most of what he means. But I do find I'm reading it a little more slowly because often I'll come across a word whose basic meaning I understand, but I'm curious about the hybrid origins or the specific application so I'm spending time thinking about that. Plus there's a lot going on! I like it quite a bit, though.

message 3: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa I don't mind paying a lot of attention, if the book is worth it and it sounds like this one is worth it. :) Actually, it sounds like I'm going to read it at least a week. (and that's not bad, really ;) Thanks for the insight, Wendy.

Wendy Darling No problem! We can compare notes, then. :)

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan He's a great thinking writer...and if you've seen the film of Blade Runner but haven't read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep they're very different from each other...

Wendy Darling Ah yes, so I hear. Are you planning on reading The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick, Jonathan? My husband just went to reading last night and one of PD's daughters was there. The original plan was for me to read this in time to go as well, but that didn't quite happen.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Well now that you mentioned it I might as well. I love big words like exegesis and philosophical thoughts. I might learn some more from his essays to aid my own writing...

Wendy Darling Better you than me. It's over 900 pages long, cut down from 8000! The book is great-looking, though, a really nice shiny cover with lovely smooth interior paper.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I think I might just read some more of his works first though. You need a reasonable amount of time for a 900 pager.

message 10: by Bidisha (new)

Bidisha My thoughts exactly. I take AGES to pull myself through adult books these days.

Wendy Darling Hah, as you can see...I get distracted.

message 12: by Bidisha (new)

Bidisha Totally. I'd probably finish up 5 or more YAs by the time I pull through 1 adult.

Wendy Darling Your average is still much better than mine! I think I have only read a handful of adult books this year.

message 14: by Bidisha (last edited Dec 05, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Bidisha Still stuck on Pg 51 of this? :D

Wendy Darling For quite some time. ;) It's not the book's fault at all, though, it's very good so far. I just have such a short attention span these days, as well as a huge list of books I have to read for review or want to read that are quicker. I'll finish it eventually...though I may give in and take it off my currently reading at some point.

message 16: by Bidisha (new)

Bidisha You took the words right outta my mouth. Book's not bad at all but I'm so stuck with the adult fictions I'm currently reading. And I HATE not finishing books, so I really have to do something about this :/

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Wendy Darling wrote: "For quite some time. ;) It's not the book's fault at all, though, it's very good so far. I just have such a short attention span these days, as well as a huge list of books I have to read for revie..."

But P.K.Dick is so quick to read compared to other sci-fi authors!

Wendy Darling Perhaps so, Jonathan, but I don't read a lot of sci-fi anyway!