Paula Radell's Reviews > So Good

So Good by Nicola Rendell

Aug 07, 2017

bookshelves: very-favorite-authors

I have read every book by written Nicola Rendell in the past year. She is rapidly become one of my favorite "new" contemporary romance authors, having achieved "eager to buy without a cover or a blurb" status after I read her debut novel, Professed. So Good, her latest release, is so sweet, so sexy, so funny and so refreshing, the book title says it all. It is SO GOOD, true romantics will want to read it again and again. I enjoyed it so much I consumed it in one sitting, not unlike a box of my favorite dark chocolate or a bottle of perfectly chilled champagne.

If you have read the blurb, you already know that So Good is a best-friends-to-lovers romance, narrated in alternating POV by Max and Rosie, the two principal characters. Knowing the trope, you might expect these two to fight their attraction, try to deny it, and fail to communicate how they feel until it is nearly too late; but you would be wrong. Yes, there's a little push-pull and some typical morning-after awkwardness as they face and deal with their newly-discovered feelings for each other. However, there's a lot more humor and heat than overt drama, and that makes this story delightfully unique and endearing.

Max is a protective alpha, but also incredibly soft-hearted and masculine in that sweet, romantic, go-for-broke kind of way that melts hearts. Rosie has a girl-next-door quality and an online dating history that's almost legendary; but inside there's a vixen waiting to knock Max completely off his feet, in the best way. Each has secrets they have kept from each other, but not the damaging emotional scars or deep internal conflicts you might expect; quite the opposite, in fact. Uncovering their secrets is more like opening a surprise package than Pandora's Box, and again, that makes the story a refreshing change of pace.

And then there are the secondary characters. Fletcher is Max's friend, a local bartender/bar owner whose story begs telling in a future Alpha Dogs novel (hint, hint). However, there are other two other unique and creative secondary characters that round out the story: Cupcake, a "foster" chihuahua, and Julia Caesar, a twenty-year-old, snarky housecat/diva. Both are skillfully crafted to add comic relief, but they also help us understand Max and Rosie a bit more, and add to the sweet, sentimental feel of the story. Max's relationship with Cupcake brought me to tears more than once. Max and Rosie's struggles with Julia are relatable and hilarious, as experienced cat owners can truly appreciate.

Unless you have a heart of stone or the cynicism of a burnt-out romantic, you cannot help but love these characters and this story. The sexual scenes are panty-melting masterpieces (if it is summer where you live, turn a fan on). The humor is light-hearted and perfectly timed. Overall, the book feels like a mini-vacation for the heart, a sweet palate-cleanser that will leave you wanting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Good.

August 5, 2017 – Started Reading