Sana's Reviews > Dealing in Dreams

Dealing in Dreams by Lilliam Rivera

'I won't fight you, and I won't give up on you.'

All right, there were some awesome things about this book and some not so awesome so I'm going the list route here:
- A WHOLE-ASS CITY WHERE WOMEN RULE
- Things aren't as cracked up to be as I thought, though because of mistreatment of men
- Still, it was great to see women in such positions of power rather than men which is basically all of our history
- Nalah is a tough character who has been burned by family before and it shows, but I will admit that I didn't really feel all that much for her and her situation and you know when that happens...
- It was actually refreshing to see Nalah go from where she was at the start of the book to where she found herself at the end but all in all, it was a little too simple for my taste
- Her stance on family was pretty interesting to read about, though
- Plot-wise, Dealing in Dreams reads like the first book of a dystopian series that sets everything up so I feel like it fell short in standing up as a book on its own and that's sad
- There are definitely Mad Max: Fury Road vibes which !!! However, the world-building wasn't built up enough for me to easily bring up the imagery in mind. Like all I saw in my head were huge piles of garbage and random huts and ? IDK ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- I loved the concept of all-girl crews and violent throw downs but not so much as to the reason behind it so yeah
- Truck, my fave
- Smiley and Shi, the WLW we all deserve
- Nena, daaamn
- Really wish Desse was developed more than just being this looming, mysterious figure
- There aren't that many male characters in this book, of course but I still got immediately attached to Books. SO FUCKING PRECIOUS
- A LEGIT GENDER FLUID CHARACTER, I LOVE
- So, so great to see gender fluidity being explored in a YA novel, beautiful
- OG, the badass-est 12-year-old ha
- I found the tragedy siblings dynamic to be slightly lacking, but still the whole thing was kinda fire

Overall, I'm glad to have read a dystopia by a POC author featuring a POC main character, queer characters and a gender fluid character like that clearly doesn't happen often enough so \O/ The book also explores addiction, equality and staying true to yourself which were all great to read about

---------------------

COVERRRR

---------------------

Here for the 'fiercest all-girl crew' and 'violent throwdowns' \O/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing in Dreams.

August 6, 2017 – Shelved
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: terrible-people-do-terrible-things
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: tragedy-siblings
May 2, 2019 – Shelved as: why-is-everyone-so-mean
May 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Ellis (new) - added it

Ellis READ THE EDUCATION OF MARGOT SANCHEZ FIRST SANA IT'S WHAT MADE ME SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE

Sana Ellis wrote: "READ THE EDUCATION OF MARGOT SANCHEZ FIRST SANA IT'S WHAT MADE ME SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE"

message 3: by Ellis (new) - added it

Ellis Sana wrote: "I KNEW IT. I knew there had to be a special reason for you to add a sci-fi on your shelves haha, but yes totally going to read that one. I remember you liking it a lot "

message 4: by Ellis (new) - added it

Ellis Okay so I did read the full synopsis just now and still into it. The basic premise reminds me a little of Sanctum and, you know, SISTERS.

message 5: by Ellis (new) - added it

Ellis Hello what an interesting article for you to read: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/t...

Sana Ellis wrote: "Omg I think I never finished the synopsis but must have just been like "Lilliam Rivera is writing this so I'm reading it" because I shrieked just now when you pointed out this is sci fi??? What have I done.

I LOVE MARGOT A LOT I'M NOT SURE IF YOU'LL LIKE HER TOO BUT IT'S OKAY OUR FRIENDSHIP WILL SURVIVE THIS"

Hahaha you've been tricked in the best way possible

Pretty sure I'm going to love Margot from what you've told me about her

Ellis wrote: "Okay so I did read the full synopsis just now and still into it. The basic premise reminds me a little of Sanctum and, you know, SISTERS. "

Okay, is this you telling me to read Sanctum? I probably will because you mentioned SISTERS

Ellis wrote: "Hello what an interesting article for you to read: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/t..."

Oh, I see what you did there. But this list sounds great and I already have plans to read like 3 of the books from on there

message 7: by Ellis (new) - added it

Ellis Sana wrote: "Pretty sure I'm going to love Margot from what you've told me about her"

I hope so I really really hope so. I also really want to reread.

Hmm it was okay and definitely interesting but not sure if I'd recommend. It's also not about sisters but about best friends saving each other (also good ofc!). It's just that this book sounded like the best parts of Sanctum + sisters SOOOOO.

I already have plans to read like 3 of the books from on there

I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE'D BETTER BE ONE OF THEM (it's such a Jane book too I love that it made the list)

message 8: by stardustreader (new)

stardustreader wowow this is breathtaking

Sana stardustreader wrote: "wowow this is breathtaking"

Rrright, I basically love everything about it