Sassy Brit's Reviews > Trap and Trace

Trap and Trace by Megan Carney

Aug 08, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: political-thriller, thriller, suspense, cop-pi-fbi, xpresso-book-tours-arc, ebook

I'm reviewing Trap and Trace by Megan Careny, as part of the author's blog tour with Xpresso Books, which can be found here. Here are my thoughts:

^^ When rookie undercover cop Roy has to convince bad guy and Manchurian Neil Logan that his fictional ex-girlfriend Jackie Pierce (really another undercover cop) is worth kidnapping because she has an uncle who is a senator with top secret clearance -- it's touch and go to whether he'll be believed. But every step of the way has been methodically planned under the code name of Operation Critical Mass. What could possibly go wrong?

^^ Unfortunately, the American group of Jihadists kidnap the wrong people, one of which is a civilian called Navy. From here begins a cat and mouse chase with consequences she doesn't expect. Is it a case of the wrong person being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or is there something more untoward going on?

^^ I found Navy to be an intriguing character. Although she is not a CIA agent, she does a pretty good impression of one, and as the story unfolds you realise how well she can look after herself. After a slow start I found myself racing through the pages as Navy, an information security engineer, discovers that her kidnapping may not have been as much as an error as she'd originally been led to believe. She takes it upon herself to find out why.

^^ Small issues: Maybe it's just a matter of personal taste, but I could have done without certain rhyming character names -- Navy, Willy and then there was Bryon, Erin, and Jackson. I just found them all a bit distracting.

Overall: With this book Megan Carney provides an intriguing peek into the world of "Trap and Trace" surveillance with this entertaining political thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trap and Trace.

July 13, 2017 – Started Reading