Anna's Reviews > The Hate Race

The Hate Race by Maxine Beneba Clarke

This book made me angry, again and again and again. It also filled me with deep sorrow about the completely unnecessary pain that racism can bring.

The author is only a few years older than I am, and her account of the appalling treatment she faced from students and teachers made me reflect on my own school experiences. The schools I attended were relatives multicultural, and I would like to think that they were free from the kind of racist bullying experienced by the author. But I suspect that such abuse was present, and that I was simply not aware of it. I experienced my share of bullying, but it was nothing in comparison to the appalling racially motivated attacks recounted in this memoir.

This is a powerful, well-written book. The author's experience as a poet is apparent in her use of repeated, almost musical phrases. Her language is evocative and compelling, and her descriptions of the emotions she experienced triggered a strong response for me.

This was almost a five star book for me. I felt the ending was rather abrupt, and found myself wanting to know more about the author's next steps in life. I also would have enjoyed reading about more triumphant and joyful moments - these were scarce but delightful when they appeared.

I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hate Race.

August 6, 2017 – Started Reading