Michelle Madow's Reviews > This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: zombies, apocalyptic, read-in-2012
Read from June 11 to 19, 2012

I loved This is Not a Test! First of all, the title and cover are awesome -- I knew I wanted to read this book just from that.

The thing that stood out to me most about This is Not a Test was the style. It reminded me of a contemporary-literary YA book, with zombies. The main character, Sloane, is going through a lot more than the zombie apocalypse, with all the troubles she had to deal with at home. There would be a story to tell here even without the zombies, and the zombies amped it up to make it more intense. The different levels of this story are what make it unique, and is what made me continue to turn to pages.

This is a zombie book, but it's not full of blood and gore the entire time. (Yes, there is blood and gore, but not for the majority of the book). Because throughout most of the story, it is about five kids inside of a school while the zombie apocalypse goes on outside. I've heard this book described as "Breakfast Club meets Zombies," and that is SO TRUE! Besides Grace and Trace (who are twins), no one else in the school was friends before the zombies happened. They had seen each other around, and they do have small connections, but they would never call each other to hang out on a normal day. One of my favorite things about apocalyptic stories is how people who wouldn't normally be friends are forced to learn about each other and get along, and this book definitely served in that retrospect. I loved seeing the relationships develop throughout the story - especially the relationship between Sloane and Rhys.

And since this is a zombie story, and people are bound to die, I'm happy to say that Courtney Summers is not afraid to kill off characters the reader grows to like throughout the book! Also, each death was unique, and took me by surprise.

Final opinion: This is Not a Test is a unique addition to the zombie genre, with its contemporary-literary flair and the growing relationships through the story. If you're a zombie fan (or even if you've never read a zombie book and want to try one out), this book is for you!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

06/12/2012 page 100
31.0% "Really enjoying this book so far!!"

message 1: by Meg (new) - added it

Meg MacPherson congratulations. you've convinced me to give this one a try! not many people can say that ;)