Melanie's Reviews > Vein Of Love

Aug 06, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2017, romance, paranormal, new-adult, demons
Recommended to Melanie by: Paloma

“Demons don’t love, they destroy.”

Okay, so this the new hot book on Instagram right now. I’m seeing it everywhere, and I couldn’t resist picking it up for myself. I will also say that this is a debut novel that was originally written on Wattpad, also this author seems like an angel on Instagram, so I give her all the credit in the world. I also expect that the other books in this series get a lot better. Unfortunately, Vein of Love just didn’t work for me.

This book stars a young 19 year old girl, Molly, who is the victim of a 300 year old contract that was set up by her ancestors. The contract promises Molly, who was born with ancient daemon (unlike demon) powers beyond her control, to marry a demon of a very prestigious demon house. She is also promised to give him an heir eventually, but he has to have sex with her, AKA mate her, so no other demon can pursue Molly, since she is a very rare commodity that would make any demon mate even more powerful. Her parents knew about this deal and this eventual engagement, and tried to keep her as safe as possible on each birthday, but Molly’s time has finally come for her to face the fate that was forced upon her.

“Never trust a demon, Molly. Number one rule.”

Tensely, the demon who is promised to Molly, is taking this contract only a little better than Molly. They both had lives before this forced arrangement, and Tensely is more willing to do what his family expects of him, but he is still apprehensive. Also, he never forces himself on Molly, and I really appreciated that, since this book has a big theme of “marking” her via sex, and he could have forcefully done it at any time and made his life much easier.

In this world, demons look weak if they show any emotion. If a demon falls in love with someone, they will grow a fully formed heart, which proves to the other demons how weak they truly are. Tensely is constantly trying to keep his feelings and emotions in check, because not only does he not want to look weak, but he is tormented by something that happened in his family not too long ago. Since then, his family has been the butt-end of many jokes, and Tensely wants only to see his house grow into the most powerful demon house of them all.

Molly, unsure of her new fiancé, is looking everywhere for help. Her family kind of just randomly leaves her, but her best friend is there and is more than willing to help. She also seeks outside forces, that brings a whole new demonhunter element to this story.

My problem with this story is that it just feels so juvenile. Maybe I would have devoured and loved this in my teenage years, before I experienced all the amazing PNR that I know the world has to offer, but in comparison Vein of Love just falls so very short.

Also, this book is constantly back and forth. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good angsty romance, but these two were so back and forth it was absurd! And I get that Tensely is unsure of what he wants to do with his feelings, but his actions were all over the place. Then, Molly also couldn’t decide what she wanted for the life of her, and she started putting herself in the dumbest and most terrifying situations. Like, girl, I can only blame you being only 19 for so long before I have to start making you take responsibility for your own stupid actions.

Also, trigger warnings for attempted rape, lots of talk/threats of rape, sexual abuse, physical abuse, and just violence in general. This book never felt that dark to me, but this is a story about a forced marriage, while a demon will gain an immense amount of power if he takes her virginity.

The rest of this review is going to have minor spoilers about a few of the sexual scenes, or lack thereof, in this book! If you would like to go into this story completely blind, please do not read the rest of this review!

Okay, that’s another thing; this book puts virginity on a pedestal. Not only is Molly completely inexperienced, but her virginal self is still a pro at giving a blow job for her first time. I can’t remember if there is any slut shaming in this book, but I know that Molly is very proud of being a virgin, even though she acts like a cat in heat anytime that Tensely is around.

Yet, even with all of these sexy themes and promises, there isn’t any sex in this book. Like, there is a few steamy scenes, but no actual intercourse. Which is fine, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with that. But with the way everyone once was making this seem, I would have guessed this was a hella erotic story, and it really wasn’t.

But for as much as Molly and Tensely’s back and forth upset me, I absolutely loved the side characters, Illya and September. Like, give me their book, please? I loved how they were both selfless and both unapologetically loved and supported their friends. Like, they were such a shining light in this book. I loved every scene involving these two. If I continue on with this series, it is 100% because of Illya and September.

So a lot of friends talk about this book ending in a cliffhanger, but I don’t really feel like it does. I mean, there is a million more questions that need to be answered, but I didn’t think there was an actual cliffhanger. Like, I’m still totally intrigued to read Body of The Crime, but that’s just because I think this author is so sweet and I really want to give her books more of a try, plus I want to love this series as much as so many of my friends do, but a cliffhanger ending? Did I get a different copy of this book?

And the plot is intriguing enough! I mean, for those of you who regularly follow my reviews, you will all know my guilty pleasure that is the Indebted Series, and this is pretty much that but with demons. I mean, sign me up for that concept.

Overall, this story just didn’t work for me, no matter how high of hopes I have to its successors. The story was just too all over the place, and the characters couldn’t stay happy for more than one page at a time, repeatedly, over and over. But maybe if you think the concept sounds unique and sexy enough, you should give it a try.

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vein Of Love.

August 4, 2017 – Started Reading
August 4, 2017 – Shelved as: new-adult
August 4, 2017 – Shelved as: demons
August 4, 2017 –
August 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Nafeeza (new)

Nafeeza Great review Mel! :)

Melanie Nafeeza wrote: "Great review Mel! :)"

Thank you, love! It was a wild ride, that's for sure! ❤xx

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Appreciate your honesty! Great review!

message 4: by Coco.V (new) - added it

Coco.V Excellent honest review, sweets! Sorry it was not better for you. :( xoxo

Melanie Deanna wrote: "Appreciate your honesty! Great review!"

Thank you so much, Deanna! 💖xo

Melanie Coco.V wrote: "Excellent honest review, sweets! Sorry it was not better for you. :( xoxo"

Thank you, Coco! Lucky for us that we always have never ending TBRs! Hehe! 💖xx

message 7: by Zether (new)

Zether Books Yeah, not thinking I'll read it after this review. The back and worth would annoy me. And oral sex but no sex? What's the point of that? Most consider oral more intimate so that seems backwards to me. Not trying this one.

Melanie Zether wrote: "Yeah, not thinking I'll read it after this review. The back and worth would annoy me. And oral sex but no sex? What's the point of that? Most consider oral more intimate so that seems backwards to ..."

It was a different reading experience, that's for sure! But again, I'm for sure in the minority with my feelings. Most of my friends have completely loved this, so maybe this is a case of "it's just not for me"? But I am curious to continue on, just because I know so many people who love this series! 💖xo