Randa's Reviews > The Golden Lily

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: vampire
Read from June 17 to July 23, 2012

The cover:

Richelle’s books have the best covers ever. I love each one of them mainly because I can see how the characters look like and the models on the cover resemble them by far.

My favorite thing about the Bloodlines’ covers however is the font in which the title is written, it’s beautiful.

The storyline:

I honestly have no idea what to say.

I’m always left speechless after reading Richelle’s books because of the wonderfully killing ending she gives us each time.

The story continues a month after the ending of Bloodlines with Sydney going to give a testimony against (or to help) Keith.

Things develop from there and as you’d expect from Richelle’s books, there’re plenty of twists and ups and downs in the story.

What I liked (and loved!):

- The writing as usual is super great. I’m always amazed at how realistic Richelle’s writing is. The story went smoothly and easily.

- I found the way the storyline was told was somewhat different from Bloodlines’, I don’t know why, but it was still good.

- I loved how the secondary characters got to have a much bigger role in the sequel. They had a lot to say and do and it effected the story that much.

- The ending as usual… speechless!!!

What I didn’t like:

- For some reason, the storyline’s pace went slowly at times, I just couldn’t believe I was bored in this book!

- Sydney’s character definitely got on my nerves this time. I always respected her intelligence and courage, but this time she became stupid or she didn’t want to understand and somewhat rude. I definitely hate rude characters.

The characters:

Adrian: Oh poor, nice and honorable Adrian. I loved him in this book. He showed sides to himself we didn’t get to see in both Vampire Academy and Bloodlines. What got to me most is his passion for Sydney and his respect for who she is and what she does. He also showed commitment and intelligence, you’d be surprised at what he was hiding.

Sydney: I think I already said what I thought about her so I’ll just tell you what I did like in her personality. She showed her usual commitment to do her job as constructed and to protect her vampire friends as long as she can. Overall, since she’s the protagonist in this spinoff series, it was felt like the story wouldn’t develop without her, which is wrong. She has a great value in the story but not that important. Sometimes she forgets that there are others with her who can help.

Jill: I really like her and admire her for holding on despite what she’s been going thru with Adrian and Micah. She a very brave Moroi.

Eddie: He’s this person who keeps to himself and yet does as asked from him. He’s smart and tough and set to protect Jill at all costs.

Angeline: Most of the times I laughed in this book were because of her, especially at the beginning. She’s a constant reminder of trouble and wherever she goes problems follow. But she has a very big and friendly heart and would do anything to protect those close to her.

Dimitri: Should I really say anything? He’s the superhero who comes to the rescue each time something bad happens. Also, he’s mostly the mind of reason along with Sonya. He just makes everyone respect him since he never hurts or offences anyone. Even Adrian couldn’t argue with that.

Sonya: She’s a very nice and friendly Moroi whom Sydney befriends later. She goes through hell in this book and later gets saved by the clique.

Other characters worth mentioning but won’t be mentioned to not spoil the story are: Trey, Chris, Clarence, Brayden and last but not least the infamous and mysterious Marcus Finch who is not present in this book but there are many talks of him.

Favorite quotes:

“What’s this? It looks like a lily.”

“It is,” he said. “No offense, but this lily is kind of more badass than yours. If the Alchemists want to buy the rights to this and start using it, I’m wiling to negotiate.” and start using it, I’m wiling to negotiate.” --- Chapter 24.

Conclusion:

I think I was somewhat disappointed in both Sydney and how the story went in The Golden Lily. I expected more action and twists and more from Sydney.

I can’t wait to get my hands on The Indigo Spell next year!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

06/18/2012
11.0% "I'm sensing something is wrong already... Won't judge the book yet, I'm just getting started :)."
06/22/2012
16.0% "^^ <3"
06/27/2012
46.0% "I'm starting to get confused by Sydney... Adrian is just awesome and it's always awesome to have Dimitri and Rose (somehow) here <3"
show 1 hidden update…