Justin's Reviews > Finding Bix: The Life and Afterlife of a Jazz Legend

Finding Bix by Brendan  Wolfe

liked it

A unique book that I liked more than disliked, but would not recommend. It has a novel, "postmodern" concept that it executes without tooting its own horn- it's a biography made up of the writer's criticism of all the other biographies written about the subject. It falls just short of being bitchy.
The result is a story that avoids all the biography cliches and pitfalls, because the writer calls out all the times they happen in the other biographies.
This is like an intentionally failed biography. The writer doesn't claim to have figured out the subject or have the final word on him. In the end, I learned a bunch of things that might have been true about influential 20's and 30's jazz musician Bix Beiderbecke, but they also might not have been true. I liked this book's honesty. On another level, though, this was also just a dorky discussion about rumors about a semi-obscure person who has a lingering cult following. It ended up being as much about the cult as about the person. I felt like I was lurking on a private internet forum. Long story short, this was a strange, innovative, probably non-essential book that I'm glad I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Bix.

August 4, 2017 – Shelved