Samy Rose's Reviews > The Invisible Chains - Part 2: Bonds of Fear

The Invisible Chains - Part 2 by Andrew Ashling

Sep 14, 2011

bookshelves: outstanding
Recommended for: anyone teen or older
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy

Such a lot of plots and the action starts immediately... and I quickly got lost in the fast pace of the book! I knew I was going to lose sleep nights as I'd be staying up late reading. This is a hard book to put down. I almost felt I might miss something while I slept!

Readers of fantasy books are going to love this story! It is a fantasy tale, predominantly! A morality tale even.

Ashling creates a believable world as rich as that of the great fantasy authors. It's easy to see his world's complexity favorably compared to the likes of Mercedes Lackey, etc. It's a long book and there's a lot of explicit m/m sexual content, including a rape.

I never lost sympathy with the two main characters. I felt so sorry for them that they couldn't really talk to one another. The "chains" were binding each of them in a continuing tragedy. They seemed unable to reach out to one another to overcome the downward spiral. The actions were hard to "watch" at times and set in a strange setting but the characters are very believable.

The story is the carefully crafted product of a really competent storyteller, an excellent writer. The characters change and grow. There are some really good comedic characters, some really good "laugh out loud" parts. What fun!

At the end, I'm sure glad this one is only the second of three books. I really want Anaxantis and Ehander to ... oops, guess I shouldn't say that yet, huh?

Amazingly, now that I'm finished with the book, I've gone back to read certain parts over again and again. Strange to think you could get more from the story, the characters, the writing, than you thought at first. Interesting in itself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Chains - Part 2.

Quotes Samy Liked

Andrew Ashling
“Damn you, Anaxantis. You and your brother were supposed to sit on your princely asses, organize the occasional banquet, use your high sounding titles to ravish the local girls, or boys, or sheep, whatever takes your fancy for all I care, and leave serious matters to your elders.”

Andrew Ashling
“Your explanation is good, but your herring doesn't fry, as we say in Ramaldah," he exploded.”

Andrew Ashling
“...Obyann, you're talking about the Landemere-Ramaldah border dispute of 1416. Damn it, man, that was in the time of our grandfathers.”

Andrew Ashling
“I wouldn't worry about it too much, son. Certainly not about the peasants and the servants. They don't feel things as we do.”
“They're human.”
“Barely. They might as well be another species. What would happen without us to keep them in check? They wouldn't work the land. They would be at each other's throat if we weren't there to restrain them. Face it, they are driven by their instincts. Granted, that is a generalization, and there are some individuals who rise above that. Personally I think that is how the nobility originated. Even today, with the help of the Gods, hard work and some luck such a man can rise above his station. But as a group…”

Andrew Ashling
“No, no, no, Landemere. This time I'm putting my foot down. I mean it. Don't think you're going to smear syrup on my beard, as we say in Ramaldah. You're not making me change my mind by sweet talking me. I know your tricks, and I won't fall for them.”

Andrew Ashling
“Ah, I see. You don't know much about us and the unknown equals the barbaric, the primitive. Although it is you lot who are ignorant.”