Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)'s Reviews > A Map for Wrecked Girls

A Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica  Taylor

liked it
bookshelves: 2017-read, 2017-release, first-reads-arcs

A Map for Wrecked Girls tells the story of two sisters, Emma and Henri, who are stranded on a deserted island with a boy they barely know. Told in alternating timelines, the reader discovers what caused the tension that threatens to ruin Emma and Henri’s relationship and their chance of survival on the island.

This book, rather unfortunately, continues the existing trends of sister stories in terms of the unimaginative dynamics readers often see between the siblings: Sister A is vibrant and cruel, Sister B is a timid follower. B loves Boy, Boy loves A, events occur, the sisters fight. Sound familiar? Because it’s super played out and I’d like some better sister dynamics in fiction, please.

I was so much more interested in the storyline of them on the island than the flashbacks to what happened previously. Emma and Henri have a completely co-dependent, destructive relationship, the likes of which I have literally never heard of real life sisters sharing. The survival story on the island is by far the strongest part of this novel, and I really enjoyed seeing how these characters handled that experience. I also understand why there needed to be a third person on the island with them, but I hated that Alex was only there to be an unnecessary romantic interest. Personally, I would have preferred if this was only the island story without the melodramatic flashbacks.

*I received an ARC of this from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Map for Wrecked Girls.

August 3, 2017 – Started Reading