Wendy S. Delmater's Reviews > Fires of Man

Fires of Man by Dan Levinson

This stunning piece of military science fiction avoids the pitfalls of “take that hill” military-speak hoo-rah and delivers solid characters and intricate plotting. The shiny idea is that an actual war seems to have stalemated but has actually gone underground and is being prosecuted by soldiers with psionic abilities. The soldiers who carry out that war take “war is hell” to some truly uncharted territory. You follow the lives of soldiers on both sides of the conflict—some of whom are related—until they meet in a battle that made me want to read the next book in the series. I’m invested in the futures of these characters, and I am not even that fond of military sci-fi. Do you know how rare that is?

The world building is astounding. There are distinct cultures, cuisines, cities, languages, economies, and customs. It’s well-and-truly thought out alternate universe.

The central backbone of all this conflict is an ancient religion that melds the psionic abilities of the covert soldiers into conflicts of their world’s ancient past. And how it will affect their future.

RECOMMENDED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fires of Man.

2014 – Started Reading