Kaceey's Reviews > When You Disappeared

When You Disappeared by John Marrs

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, traveling-sister-read

A Traveling Sister read with Brenda and Lindsay!

3.5*

Catherine wakes up in the morning oblivious that her world is about to change forever. Her husband is gone! And she is frantic! He never showed up to work…maybe lying injured or dead in a ditch somewhere. The hours turn into days and eventually fall away into years. Simon has never been heard from again…until now!

We’re also given a view into Simon’s world during his disappearance. What would have motivated him to leave his family? What is the unforgivable act that triggered his vanishing act? And why stay away so long? There are whispers throughout this book of what drove a wedge between Catherine and Simon and eventually led to Simon leaving. There-in lies the mystery, buried deep within the pages. (Unfortunately not deep enough for me as I guessed most of it early on. I know…junior detective in the makings…Lol!).

Told in past and present tense from the POV of both Catherine and Simon. Including the journey Simon traveled to find himself in his new life. Which at times became soooo far-fetched! He was not at all a likable character.

In fact, I ended up having a love-hate relationship with this book. I absolutely loathed everything about Simon, wishing him ill-will at every turn. Yet, I couldn't pull myself away from tale he told.

Aren't the best books the ones that make you feel unsettled, setting off a wave of emotion within you? Especially if that emotion may be a troubling one. Well this book did just that!

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas &Mercer and John Marrs for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

For this review and our Full traveling sister review please visit Norma and Brenda’s fantastic book blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Disappeared.

August 3, 2017 – Shelved
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2017 – Started Reading
August 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 17, 2017 – Shelved as: traveling-sister-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Falk Toast to a good read!

Kaceey Paul wrote: "Toast to a good read!"

Thank you Paul!!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Great review Kaceey! :)

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Brilliant review Kaceey!!! 😀

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Very nice review Kaceey.

message 6: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Great review, Kaceey! Sorry for that hateful character! 💗

Kaceey Amanda wrote: "Great review Kaceey! :)"

Thank you Amanda! :-)

Kaceey Miriam wrote: "Brilliant review Kaceey!!! 😀"

Thank you so much Miriam! :-)

Kaceey Maureen wrote: "Very nice review Kaceey."

Thank you Maureen!

Kaceey Nazanin wrote: "Great review, Kaceey! Sorry for that hateful character! 💗"

Thank you Nazanin! Lol! He was so evil!

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I had those same feelings/emotions and couldn't stop reading Kaceey! I agree! You should read his second book (its more of a Thriller) Its so GOOD!

Kaceey Holly wrote: "I had those same feelings/emotions and couldn't stop reading Kaceey! I agree! You should read his second book (its more of a Thriller) Its so GOOD!"

I loved your review too Holly! I forgot about his other book! I want to read that "one"! Lol! It's on my list!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review, K! I hope your next one is a 5 star book =)

message 14: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Terrific review!

Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends Excellent review, Kaceey! I am glad we stuck with this one. It was fun discussing with you and Lindsay.

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Kaceey! I still might read this one!

message 17: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Terrific review, Kaceey! I'm still on the fence with this one, but you definitely make a case . . . except for Simon! I don't want to burn my eReader to get rid of him!! :)

Kaceey Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Great review, K! I hope your next one is a 5 star book =)"

Thank you so much Melissa!😊

Kaceey Mackey wrote: "Terrific review!"

Thank you Mackey!

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Kaceey!

Kaceey Brenda wrote: "Excellent review, Kaceey! I am glad we stuck with this one. It was fun discussing with you and Lindsay."

Thank you Brenda! I am glad we stuck it out with this one too! I wish the others would have stayed on this read with us! I really enjoyed our chats on this one. We all had fun hating Simon!😊

Kaceey Norma wrote: "Great review, Kaceey! I still might read this one!"

Thank you Norma! I hope you do! I'd love to see what you think of it! Sorry you missed out on our read!

Kaceey Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Kaceey! I'm still on the fence with this one, but you definitely make a case . . . except for Simon! I don't want to burn my eReader to get rid of him!! :)"

Thank you Jaline! Lol! I didn't even think about that....burning my kindle! That would have been just what he deserved!

Kaceey Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Kaceey!"

Thank you Jennifer!

message 25: by Aneela (new) - added it

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ All the reviews I have read so far for this book, everyone hates Simon. Now I am intrigued to know why he did so.

Meredith Great review, Kaceey!

Kaceey Anny wrote: "All the reviews I have read so far for this book, everyone hates Simon. Now I am intrigued to know why he did so."

Lol Anny! Now your going to have to read it too!! Hope you enjoy!! Looking forward to your thoughts on Simon!😁 Lol!

Kaceey Meredith wrote: "Great review, Kaceey!"

Thank you Meredith!:-)

message 29: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Great review, Kaceey!

Kaceey Deanna wrote: "Great review, Kaceey!"

Thank you Deanna!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, Kaceey! I agree with you about great reads- that emotion- you know it's gotten to you, and that's powerful.

Kaceey Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Great review, Kaceey! I agree with you about great reads- that emotion- you know it's gotten to you, and that's powerful."

Thank you Jennifer! Even if the book doesn't work for you, getting that emotional charge makes it worth the read!

Susanne  Strong Amazing review Kaceey! Glad you liked this one (though I'm also glad I dropped out - lol). :-).

Kaceey Susanne wrote: "Amazing review Kaceey! Glad you liked this one (though I'm also glad I dropped out - lol). :-)."

Thank you Susanne!:-) We missed you! But I do understand why you dropped out! Looking forward to reading with you in the future!!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent Review Kaceey!

Kaceey Mary wrote: "Excellent Review Kaceey!"

Thank you Mary Beth!:-)

message 37: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Wonderful review, Kaceey!!

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Wow . . . love/hate . . . guess that's better than just pure dislike. 😂 Great review. 👍🏻

Kaceey Julie wrote: "Wonderful review, Kaceey!!"

Thank you Julie!

Kaceey Melissa wrote: "Wow . . . love/hate . . . guess that's better than just pure dislike. 😂 Great review. 👍🏻"

Thank you Melissa! Lol! Good thing there was some love in there or I wouldn't have been able to finish! It was a good balance!😊

message 41: by JanB (new)

JanB Kaceey, those love/hate books often end up being fun reads. And I know you had a good time reading it with the sisters :-)

Kaceey JanB wrote: "Kaceey, those love/hate books often end up being fun reads. And I know you had a good time reading it with the sisters :-)"

Thank you Jan!That's so true! Love when a book can evoke such intense emotion! We all had fun ...our hatred for Simon made for great chatting! Lol!😊

message 43: by Juli (new)

Juli Put this on my kindle TBR list.....sounds kinda like "Gone Guy''....I will have to prepare myself for what I know will be a love/hate relationship with this story. :)

Kaceey Juli wrote: "Put this on my kindle TBR list.....sounds kinda like "Gone Guy''....I will have to prepare myself for what I know will be a love/hate relationship with this story. :)"

I hope you enjoy it Juli!:-) We all knew there were extreme mixed reviews on this one! I'm curious to see what you think of it!

Pam Jensen Sorry, thought the book was awful. So far fetched and unbelievable and boring. I did read it all the through and then laughed at the stupid ending. I apologise to all I may have just offended.

Rachel Just finished reading it. I completely agree about Simeons portions of the book having some very hard to believe aspects, about disliking him and about feeling unsettled. You worded it very well.

Kaceey Rachel wrote: "Just finished reading it. I completely agree about Simeons portions of the book having some very hard to believe aspects, about disliking him and about feeling unsettled. You worded it very well."

Thank you Rachel! We both walked away from this book feeling the exact same way! Lol! Loved your review for this one too!!🤗❤️

barbara wasn't impressed ith this story far fetched and extreme ti killng for his own sake very selfish act but then he was

message 49: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, Kaceey, sometimes a unlikable character adds something to the story, I'm happy that this was a good enough read for you.

Kaceey barbara wrote: "wasn't impressed ith this story far fetched and extreme ti killng for his own sake very selfish act but then he was"

Sorry it didn’t work for you Barbara! Hope you are enjoying your current reads!

« previous 1