Isamlq's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Sep 13, 2011

liked it
Read from September 13 to 14, 2011

There were plenty of modifiers in this one, but there was also a lot of snark. Does the second cancel the first one out? It's incredibly descriptive given all those modifiers, so while bit long winded, things were eventually clear. It's also very contemporary. The writing, the people speak was all very relatable and at times simply hilarious:

Lex's story reads like a young version of Charley Davidson's (minus the sex, mostly because Lex like Charley has a colorful vocabulary and a sharp tongue plus there's all the death that takes place...) Now, take a girl with criminal tendencies then plunk her in the middle of nowhere afterthat see what happens. CROAK happens. I think I enjoyed one, but notice my uncertainty. Like I said, the girl herself reminded me a lot of Charley Davisdon.

The Characters:

Lex. She isn't a very likeable girl. As said, she's got criminal tendencies and this precisely what necessitates her move to Croak. I liked that she spoke her mind, I didnt like her not thinking before she acted... it was all punch now, deal with consequence later.

Uncle Mort. Their initial meeting was a bit strange. But thinking back, he did in fact behave exactly as she did: acting first then explaining, this might explain why I was leery of him. But after a while, he comes across as less creepy... but just more involved in his own thing. And where all the other adults were weary and mistrustful of her, I was surprised by how freely he let her act (to an extent.)

Her plus one:

Driggs. While this aspect wasn't the focus, I think this aspect was the best part. From the get , it was obvious what role he was going have. But he also doubled as her tail (sort of.) They didn't hit it off when they met at first (typical.) But I did enjoy how their relationship progressed from being a major irritation for both to being a minor one coupled with kissing. And the snark, I think this that was the best thing about the two of them, with one throwing an insult at the other and the other not hesitating to throw one back, they indeed gave as good as the other: verbally and... physically. As to the last, while it wasn't a good thing, it most defintiely was surprising.

Another aspect I enjoyed was Ferbus in relation to Driggs (take the descriptive; heterosexual life partners) in relation to Lex. There was understanding. As such each each knew where they stood, each knew what their roles were.

Summing up:

While the people themselves were OK, I think getting to know them became a bit of a chore. Like I said, the dialogue was accessible, humorous and snark-filled, things just got a bit muddled with all the descriptions thrown in. After picking my way through all that, I still did enjoyed aspects of CROAK.

3/5
Thanks Netgalley!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

07/01/2016 marked as: read