Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Secret Life of Mrs. London

The Secret Life of Mrs. London by Rebecca Rosenberg

bookshelves: read-2017

I instantly knew that I wanted to read The Secret Life of Mrs. London from the moment I read the blurb. I just love reading historical fiction about famous persons and I was intrigued by the prospect of reading a book about Jack London, a man that I didn't know much about. Also, the addition of Harry Houdini to the story made my eagerness to read this book even greater.

I've actually been putting off writing this review, you know to wait for the right moment because I was so taken with the story that I needed some breathing pause to be levelheaded to write a review that is just me rambling. To be honest, I'm not sure it helped, but anyway, here we go!

The Secret Life of Mrs. London is about Jack London's wife Charmain London and in this story we get to follow Charmain story through a period in life when everything around her changes. Her marriage isn't the easiest and although Jack loves Charmain do one really get a feeling that she is there to take care of Jack businesses, from his writing to the dream house that he's building. Her own ambition, her own writing is something that she has to just dream about. The Harry Houdini sweeps into her life...
As much as I liked Jack in this book can't I help, but frankly adore Harry Houdini. The attraction between him and Charmain is palpable. It helps that the writing is top-notch that the characters are so alive, so well-developed that I breathlessly turned every page with the desire to know what happens next, but at the same time didn't I want the story to end. Yes, I'm gushing, but seriously, this is one book I could easily read again and nowadays I don't have time to re-read books. Another character I came to like very much is Bess Houdini, she shows up in the book now and then, and just like her famous husband has Bess a strong and vibrant personality. I quite liked her interaction with Charmine.

The Secret Life of Mrs. London is one of the best books I have ever read. It's a story I will never forget and I can't wait to see what Rebecca Rosenberg will write next.

I want to thank the author for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Mrs. London.

August 3, 2017 – Shelved
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2017 – Started Reading
December 30, 2017 –
53.0% "Love this book!"
December 31, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
December 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Rebecca Rosenberg Thanks for reading, Magdalena

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Rebecca wrote: "Thanks for reading, Magdalena"

My pleasure! Loved the book! :D

Rebecca Rosenberg Can you hear my heart sing?

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Rebecca wrote: "Can you hear my heart sing?"

I liked that I managed to squeeze in one last 5-star book before the year ended! :D

Rebecca Rosenberg FYI: THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON