Sharon Paavola's Reviews > The Innkeeper's Daughter

The Innkeeper's Daughter by Michelle Griep

I delighted in this novel, another in the Bow Street runners series. Joanna works her heart to the bone at the Blue Hedge Inn her family owns. She watches over her young brother and her aging mother who are her world. The Inn takes in some of the roughest crowd in the lower of society section of Dover, England, but it’s her life and she must make ends meet to pay the rent. Unbeknownst to her, an undercover officer has taken up residence under her roof, with the name of Alexander Morton. He’s not the usual customer since he even pays ahead of time for his room and board. The bar brings in ruffians and some aren’t who they seem to be.

I enjoyed the intrigue and mystery played out in the plot. The two main characters cannot deny the chemistry that develops between them. Alexander struggles to maintain his strong, godly beliefs while he discovers who is smuggling what onto the docks. The author incorporates some humorous and colorful characters, such as Mr. Nutbrown, who only speaks through his puppet and skips paying his bill by climbing out his window.

Michelle Griep, one of my favorite writers, brings depth, emotions, and true human flaws plus graces into her books. She clearly believes that faith in God is worth clinging to in any circumstance.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. All thoughts are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innkeeper's Daughter.

August 3, 2017 – Shelved