Orient's Reviews > Ruin

Ruin by John Gwynne

bookshelves: 2017, bloody-romance, desperado, fantasy, favorites, hero, killer, psychological

Wow,what a read, I'm a ruin after "Ruin". But a mind-blown ruin :) After loving book 2, I was so eager to start book 3 and wasn't disappointed....well, for the biggest part as "Ruin" has a treat for fantasy fans. An epic story, great fleshed out characters, magical creatures, cool action scenes, plotting and so on. I really liked it :)

I'm probably too spoiled but I was a bit annoyed with some stuff I found in "Ruin". It was great meeting my fave characters and of course the baddies. I was curious how will Mr. Gwynne handle them, make their personalities stronger or change them and it was done smoothly. I have only one complaint about one of the characters. (view spoiler)

But

Despite these little flaws I found the story engaging and the action and revelations really kept me on the edge of the seat. The story ended with such a cliffhanger! I've kept everything crossed for one of my faves to make it through, it's highly unlikely and despite the great joyous scenes ((view spoiler)), it made me a ruin.

The story you know from first two books will shatter to dust and everything which was solid and unmovable will be ripped apart....... Can't wait for tomorrow to come to start "Wrath"!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin.

Quotes Orient Liked

John Gwynne
“It was no dream. The Ben-Elim, he gave me a choice. Go forward or go back. I wanted to cross over, to be with my kin, my friends. To find peace.´

´Why did you come back, then?´Fidele asked him.
´Three reasons. Three people. Jael. Lykos. You.´He paused and looked up into her eyes. ´Two for vengeance. One for love.´
She stared at him a long, timeless moment, then she leaned forwards and kissed him. Page 273 (Fidele and Maquin)”

John Gwynne
“Family. Friendship. Loyalty. These things have been my guiding stars, my light in these dark times.”

John Gwynne
“Two for vengeance. One for love.”

July 31, 2017 – Started Reading
August 3, 2017 – Shelved
August 3, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Started it on Monday :) Such an awesome read!!! :)"
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: hero
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: killer
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: psychological
August 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Samir Can't read your review yet but I'm glad you liked it :)

Orient Samir wrote: "Can't read your review yet but I'm glad you liked it :)"

Samir Orient wrote: "Samir wrote: "Can't read your review yet but I'm glad you liked it :)"

Omh, I can't wait for you to read the book, it's nothing near Malice or Valour. Gwynne is turning into Erikson!! :)"

Orient Samir wrote: "It's taking me forever to read Assassin's Quest but as soon as I finish it, I'm re-reading Malice and then tackling the rest of the series. If he is turning into Erikson that can only mean one thing, deaths, deaths everywhere! :)) "

Hmm, did you overcome the "sleeping when reading" phase with Assassin's Quest? :) Yup, sad but true Gwynne!!! I will never forgive him if he makes smth true :O If I remember correctly, you liked Malice a lot? :)

Orient TheLoneTiger wrote: "Great review Orinta!! Awww to the spoiler bit hehe and what a cliffhanger hey😱. Going to add / start Wrath and hopefully read a little before bed😃"

Thanks, Craig :) Yup, the first spoiler made me annoyed and the second melted my Godzilla heart! :) Woot, for Wrath :) I'll join you both on the morrow ;)

Stefan Bach Delightful review! :D (view spoiler)

Samir Orient wrote: "Samir wrote: "It's taking me forever to read Assassin's Quest but as soon as I finish it, I'm re-reading Malice and then tackling the rest of the series. If he is turning into Erikson that can only..."

Nope, but I'm gonna power through! :)

message 8: by TS (last edited Aug 06, 2017 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Really nice review, Orient!!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Great review Orient :)

message 10: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Haha, Great review and word play, Orient :p Aaaaah, Cliffhanger! On to the next book then!

Orient Stefan wrote: "Delightful review! :D [spoilers removed]"

Thanks, Stefan :) Lol, the scene you mentioned was juicy :) I don't mind it XD Ahahah, are you careful with eating before reading now? :D

Orient Samir wrote: "Nope, but I'm gonna power through! :)
I did! I'm aware that it had flaws but when a book has a character or two that I care and root for and when I can connect with those characters on some level, I don't give a flying fuck about the flaws :)"

Lol, well said, Samir! You are a poet XD I'm a character driven reader, too :)

Orient TS wrote: "Really nice review, Orient!!

Wrath is an amazing ending to the series. Looking forward to your thoughts on that."

Thanks, TS :) I'm about 70 pages in and already engaged! Wonderful book indeed :)

Orient Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Great review Orient :)"

Thanks, Eon ;)

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Haha, Great review and word play, Orient :p Aaaaah, Cliffhanger! On to the next book then!"

Thanks, Sreyas :) Lol, old ladies like me tend to crumble a lot XD YES, the last book in the series, which I don't want to end! The second spoiler did the charm, huh? :)

message 16: by Eric (new)

Eric Great review Orient! I hope to be starting this series soon.

Orient Eric wrote: "Great review Orient! I hope to be starting this series soon."

Thanks, Eric ;) Hope you'll love it ;)

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric I hope so too! You and a good number of my book friends give it good marks. The biggest complaint about the first book is that it gets off to a slow start.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Review Lass :)

message 20: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Orient wrote: "Sr3yas wrote: "Haha, Great review and word play, Orient :p Aaaaah, Cliffhanger! On to the next book then!"

Orient Eric wrote: "I hope so too! You and a good number of my book friends give it good marks. The biggest complaint about the first book is that it gets off to a slow start."

True, that annoyed me a lot in Malice :)

Orient A Bald Mage** wrote: "Great Review Lass :)"

Thanks, Steve :)

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Lol, It did :p I heard Mr. Purr was not happy with you after posting that gif :p
"

Noo, I hid the doggy gif in the spoiler so that Mr. Purr couldn't see it as his paws are too lazy XD

message 24: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Ahahahahaha, Awesome plan! Maybe he saw you searching for the Gif, but decided not to assassinate you as he is too lazy :p

message 25: by Orient (last edited Aug 12, 2017 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Ahahahahaha, Awesome plan! Maybe he saw you searching for the Gif, but decided not to assassinate you as he is too lazy :p

"

LOL, where did you get the gif from Mr. Purr's past? :D It' supposed to be top secret and hidden in CIA headquarters XD

message 26: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Well, I know a Cat who knows a Cat..... who knows a Cat in CIA :p

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Well, I know a Cat who knows a Cat..... who knows a Cat in CIA :p"

Who was it? WHO???? Was it one of these bastards?????

message 28: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas No, not these wee lads. These are MI6 spy cats. My contact is in CIA and he is very gooooood!

There is a lot you don't know about CIA. :o

What if Purr is one of the RED agents? :o

Orient Lol, how unexpected, I bow to your great knowledge! :) Lead me warleader!

Ahahha, Mr. Purr is not young, but not so old for RED :D