Skyler Autumn's Reviews > The Hating Game

The Hating Game by Sally  Thorne
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
12859342
's review

did not like it
bookshelves: loath, not-worth-the-hype

1 Stars

Warning I'm about to swear a whole fucking lot!

I am so pissed at this book and at all the people who got this book a average 4.24 rating on Goodreads. How!?! Is the author bribing people? Has she held your loved ones hostage!?

The novel follows the relationship of Lucy and Josh rivals in life and the "workplace." I put workplace in brackets because the two leads rarely do anything but stare at each other and play immature games in the same vain as 2 year old boy pulling the hair of a girl he has a crush on. YET, they some how are up for a major promotion. Can I work here? Seems like there is a lot of drinking on the job. One day during a team building paintball day Lucy feels ill and Josh show his "sensitivity" by taking care of her. I put sensitivity in brackets because I'm tired of women giving men a fucking award for showing basic human decency.

Other then the annoying cliche story there is a odd amount of nice guy bashing in this book. What a weird bloody stance to take Sally Thorne. Lucy is used as the barometer of why nice is a bad thing to be since her people pleasing tendencies cause people to walk all over her. I'm sorry Sally Thorne you are mistaking insecure weakness for kindness. At one point Josh tries to gain the readers sympathy by mentioning how upset he gets when people comment on how handsome he is because he's always used for his looks and then left because he has a bad personality? You mean you won the genetic lottery and the one thing you are capable of changing is what turns people away. NOBODY FEELS SORRY FOR YOU, YOU LUNATIC!

Being an asshole needs to stop being the male leads characteristics in romances. Do you know what? Kindness is hella hot. Nice is the new sexy. Give me Peeta and Ron Weasley over moody vampires and sadistic lovers any day!!

And WHY is everyone so fucking stunning all the time. He is basically inhumanly gorgeous and she's looks like a disney princess. Then disney princess gets all, no one will ever love me all my friends are books. It's like fuck off. You'll be fine. Also, if you didn't know this yet from reading this horrendous book. Apparently Lucy is so tiny. I don't know if the author has a concussion but I as reader don't so please stop mentioning her fucking height to me every two paragraphs. I'm not a moron.

Also, so much sex and making out in this book!!! Such filler for the lack of story. It reads like an instruction manual. My hand pulls his hair, he thrusts... so on. It's like ya ya I know how sex works. Skip ahead.

The good news is this book pulls itself together in the end and makes your girl hearts swoon.... I'm fuck kidding the ending wraps this shit up so quickly you almost think you missed a chapter. In the end love is declared, jobs are saved and you find out that the handsome guy is actually a stalker hoarding your garbage and painting his room the colour of your eyes. I thought then the novel was going to take a cool twist and become like You by Caroline Kepnes and Josh was going to murder Lucy but no she lived and he lived and the world is now a darker place for that.

This book likes to play with the notion that there is a thin line between love and hate and the two can easily be misconstrued. I'll have to disagree with you there because there's no confusion here I absolutely hate this fucking book.
301 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hating Game.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 3, 2017 – Shelved
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 17, 2017 –
page 25
6.51% "I'm not loving it so far. It's that whole hate-love trope but the hate is so ridiculous and childish. Who expels this much energy on another person? Or I might just be void of any form of passion, what can I say I'm lazy."
September 18, 2017 – Started Reading
September 19, 2017 – Shelved as: loath
September 19, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2018 – Shelved as: not-worth-the-hype

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)


Skyler Autumn Jennie wrote: "I am LIVING for this review. You touched on every single thing I was too furious to write about."

Thanks! I am so glad you disliked it as well!! It's ridiculously hard to find people that hate this stupid book which is so frustrating because it does not deserve the level of praise it is getting.


message 2: by Jenbebookish (new)

Jenbebookish Lol great review


Jessica Brilliant review.


message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele Buck I DNF'd this book so fast. I was over her the minute she hacked into his computer. No. This is not cute behavior, Betty Boop. This is criminal. I, too, have ZERO idea as to why the world loves this book so damn much.


Lauralai I bloody love when I find people that hate a book just as much as I do 💓 this story was so problematic smh


Skyler Autumn Adele wrote: "I DNF'd this book so fast. I was over her the minute she hacked into his computer. No. This is not cute behavior, Betty Boop. This is criminal. I, too, have ZERO idea as to why the world loves this..."

I know! I would have DNF'd it too but it had such rave reviews I kept tricking myself into think it would get better. Trust me it doesn't.


Skyler Autumn Lauralai wrote: "I bloody love when I find people that hate a book just as much as I do 💓 this story was so problematic smh"

There is no better kinship right? I crave people that hate a book as much as me especially a book like this that has the majority of people singing its praise.


Brittany Joy This review is spot on. I listened to the audiobook and felt extremely creeped out when eye color room thing was revealed. This book suckssss


Skyler Autumn Brittany Joy wrote: "This review is spot on. I listened to the audiobook and felt extremely creeped out when eye color room thing was revealed. This book suckssss"

Its sucks so much!!! I know I am shocked with how much people rave and say this is soo funny.... like funny as in strange borderline creepy? Then sure ya this read is really funny.


message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele Buck Every time I see this book on another list or in another recommendation, I want to Kool-Aid-Man into the conversation and go, "NO. YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ THIS GARBAGE FIRE."


Skyler Autumn Adele wrote: "Every time I see this book on another list or in another recommendation, I want to Kool-Aid-Man into the conversation and go, "NO. YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ THIS GARBAGE FIRE.""

YASSS!!! I saw someone reading it on the subway the other day and took all my mental strength not to flick it out of there hand and yell "NO BOOK FOR YOU!!"


Iryna *Book and Sword* This review was amazing!! It was hilarious and had great talking points. I never read this book (I had it on my tbr long time ago but then I found out thats mostly sex and I took it off, because sex with no plot??? Hmmm where have I seen that before?). People need to stop romanticizing bad boys and toxic relationships yet every year theres a popular book that promotes just that. How? Why??


message 13: by Amber ☾♥ (new)

Amber ☾♥ Angry reviews with lots of cursing are my absolute favorite. Why sugar-coat it? xD

Love this!


Skyler Autumn Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "This review was amazing!! It was hilarious and had great talking points. I never read this book (I had it on my tbr long time ago but then I found out thats mostly sex and I took it off, because se..."

Thank you! I know I get in these moods where I want to try a romantic novel, so I go for the most popular one and they always have this weird controlling, jealous, borderline domestic abuse-y relationship and I'm like what the hell is happening?! This is not my idea of romance.


Skyler Autumn Amber ☾♥ wrote: "Angry reviews with lots of cursing are my absolute favorite. Why sugar-coat it? xD

Love this!"


I know! It's like I'm not going to get upset if you bash a novel I love we all get to have our own feelings for our reads this one just made me very very pissy : )


Whitney I quite liked this novel and I don’t normally read romance lol I agree the sex was a little much, but I expect that from the genre. I disagree with the sickness thing. It’s “nice” precisely for the fact she thinks he hates her at that point in the book. I think the issue is that Lucy is just suuuuuuuuuper dense and can’t tell he actually likes her.

You make valid points, though. It’s nice to see different points of view.


message 17: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan A+ review. Standing O. Fricking hated this book, and I don’t know why I read the whole thing. (Your description of the “missed chapter” ending is perfect.) And if you need a non-chucking-the-book-across-the-room romantic rec, I’ve got a good one for you. Pulls off a job-related enemies-to-lovers tale WITHOUT hating the hero for creepiness, or wondering how the hell the heroine got this job in the first place. Like, 100% the inverse of this book. (Okay, fine, I won’t make you ask: Beginner’s Luck by Kate Clayborn.)


Skyler Autumn Meghan wrote: "A+ review. Standing O. Fricking hated this book, and I don’t know why I read the whole thing. (Your description of the “missed chapter” ending is perfect.) And if you need a non-chucking-the-book-a..."

Thanks lady! Don't feel bad about reading the whole book! I did to because I'm just a stubborn bitch that way.

Beginners Luck by Kate Clayborn is officially being added to my TBR list!


message 19: by Skyler (last edited Feb 21, 2018 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyler Autumn Whitney wrote: "I quite liked this novel and I don’t normally read romance lol I agree the sex was a little much, but I expect that from the genre. I disagree with the sickness thing. It’s “nice” precisely for the..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it! We're all going love or hate different books except Beartown no one is allowed to hate Beartown (FYI its my fave book lol)

We definitely have a difference of opinion here and I do still think the girl playing sick or another version of the lady character being the victim in some way that causes the boy to swoop in and be the hero is a trope that needs to die. I want to boycott the damsel in distress trope!


message 20: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa Nice review


Audrey It was okay/fine for me, but I was scratching my head over the hype. Most romances I try have such unhealthy relationships, I hate them all in general.


message 22: by Nadine (new) - added it

Nadine Grech Haha, I don't know you but I like you for writing this review! I thought I was the only one who didn't like it! For me, I DNF it when he asked her to do something to another man just to prove something and she went ahead and did it! And then came back to him! I'm sure you know which part I'm talking about! I don't want to give spoilers! It was too silly for me.


Skyler Autumn Aqsa wrote: "Nice review"

Thanks Aqsa!


Skyler Autumn Audrey wrote: "It was okay/fine for me, but I was scratching my head over the hype. Most romances I try have such unhealthy relationships, I hate them all in general."

It's got insane HYPE! I expected to at least sort of like it, I honestly don't get the fuss over this read.


message 25: by Skyler (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyler Autumn Nadine wrote: "Haha, I don't know you but I like you for writing this review! I thought I was the only one who didn't like it! For me, I DNF it when he asked her to do something to another man just to prove somet..."

See I have to learn the art of the DNF! But honestly, I hit the halfway point and I was fuelled by my need to be able to give this a proper review without fans of the book going you can't judge a book you haven't fully read! Well, I fully read it so I'm a judging it!

I know! I hate the string the nice guy along then ditch him for the mean guy trope. I fucking like nice guys! I need more nice guys in my life : )


message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I haven’t read this book, and I doubt I ever will.... But this is my favorite review ever!


message 27: by V (new)

V Bliss This had me smothering cackles at work. Great review!


message 28: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka I am in LOVE with this review!!!


Skyler Autumn Amy wrote: "I haven’t read this book, and I doubt I ever will.... But this is my favorite review ever!"

Awe thanks : )


Skyler Autumn V wrote: "This had me smothering cackles at work. Great review!"

Glad I could make you cackle!


Skyler Autumn MissBecka wrote: "I am in LOVE with this review!!!"

Thanks MissBecka!!


message 32: by Trevor (new)

Trevor This review is so spot on. I remember picking this up a few months ago because I just had to know why all my GR friends rated it so highly. I think I only made it through 30 or so pages but that was more than enough. Wasn't even worth my time logging in here. Will never understand how the hype for this was so intense; Thorne certainly got lucky with great PR. Oh well. Another reason why I'm trying really hard not to add so many books to my TBR before they're even released- too much hype = so much disappointment. Hope your next read is better!


Skyler Autumn Brooke wrote: "This review is so spot on. I remember picking this up a few months ago because I just had to know why all my GR friends rated it so highly. I think I only made it through 30 or so pages but that wa..."

Thanks! Ya the hype was crazy... All the rave 5-star reviews saying this book was hilarious this book wasn't the least bit funny. Am I reading a different book then the rest of goodreads : P


coriolis I just finished this crap and I was like, "Okay every fucking first page review is 5 stars, I need to find a one star review. You summed it all up perfectly. Seriously, the thing with his bedroom being her eye color... I was like, "YOU SOUND LIKE A SERIAL KILLER."


Skyler Autumn Cori wrote: "I just finished this crap and I was like, "Okay every fucking first page review is 5 stars, I need to find a one star review. You summed it all up perfectly. Seriously, the thing with his bedroom b..."

This book is so bad its basically comical. I totally get your need to seek out the 1 star reviews I felt the same way! I was soooo pissed with everyone that rated it five stars I took it as a personal insult lol.


message 36: by Brandice (new)

Brandice I love a review that keeps it real, thanks for sharing, Skyler! :)


Skyler Autumn Brandice wrote: "I love a review that keeps it real, thanks for sharing, Skyler! :)"

Thanks Brandice! I always bring the real : P


Amanda I didn't hate this like you did but this review is still my favorite. The flair with which you spit bile is primo entertainment.


message 39: by Sonal (new) - rated it 1 star

Sonal Great review! I wish I'd seen this before I read this stupid book!


message 40: by Naqvi (new) - added it

Naqvi Hussain loved your review...


message 41: by Faye* (new) - rated it 1 star

Faye* Great review, Skyler, I agree with everything you said!!


Mayar I never agreed with a review that much, I'm glad we, who dislike this book while everybody is obsessing over it, are so many. It doesn't make me feel odd. GREAT REVIEW!


Skyler Autumn Mayar wrote: "I never agreed with a review that much, I'm glad we, who dislike this book while everybody is obsessing over it, are so many. It doesn't make me feel odd. GREAT REVIEW!"

Ya way to many people were preaching this books praise. I read it because I was like wow the love is so strong for this, then I read it and realized this books fanbase must also believe Twilight was a work of art and someone needs to set the record straight.


Itsthem Agree 100% with your review. I left my 1 star review just now and then scrolled and saw all the 4 and 5? WTF? Friends and family? ;) This was a horrible story with terrible people. No thank you.


Skyler Autumn Itsthem wrote: "Agree 100% with your review. I left my 1 star review just now and then scrolled and saw all the 4 and 5? WTF? Friends and family? ;) This was a horrible story with terrible people. No thank you."

I know when I really dislike a book I need to scroll through and find like minded people especially when its got such insane rave reviews! It's like what the hell did I get a different book?


Karen (idleutopia_reads) How has this book gotten so many positive reviews? How? I just don't get it. I tried to come back to it but had to stop when I read the following sentence "my underwear and lingerie were coming out of my drawers like lettuce on a burger". I just couldn't try again after that. I've never hated a book before but thanks the Hating Game for being the first. Seriously this book. I just don't get it.


message 47: by Skyler (last edited Aug 04, 2018 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyler Autumn Karen wrote: "How has this book gotten so many positive reviews? How? I just don't get it. I tried to come back to it but had to stop when I read the following sentence "my underwear and lingerie were coming out..."

I know when I read this book I was visibly pissed off, there are so many shit books that get overhyped these days it is complete bullshit. Everyone kept going on about how funny and romantic this novel was I found it juvenile, boring, and cringe-worthy. And where the hell was all this humour everyone went on about!! Anytime I see someone reading this book I want to slap it out of their hands. WORST. BOOK. EVER.


Skyler Autumn Rachel wrote: "THANK YOU! BLOODY THANK YOU! I cannot understand what this book has that made everyone fall head over heels over. I made it to chapter 18 (which is a feat in itself) because I threw my kindle (gent..."

I know! This book is such shit and its like perpetually raved about. I have never been so anger by a book and been so irritated at anyone that tells me this was such a great read let alone their favourite!? Like what shit have you been read before this that made you think this book was good?


Katie Keller I couldn’t disagree more. Their relationship is quirky and sweet. Josh goes above and beyond “basic human decency” when he takes care of Lucy while she’s sick.

They also do a ton of work, but the author doesn’t have to list every detail of what they do. The story is about the romance, not about the work they do for the publishing house.

And the nice guy bashing happens because Josh has been beaten out by nice guys his whole life.

It’s always so interesting how people can have such different viewpoints, but your review sounds a bit angry.


Skyler Autumn Katie wrote: "I couldn’t disagree more. Their relationship is quirky and sweet. Josh goes above and beyond “basic human decency” when he takes care of Lucy while she’s sick.

They also do a ton of work, but the..."


Dude, I sound a bit angry? Did you read my review? Pretty sure I never hid the fact that I was angry. I think I was actually pretty upfront about that, but hey! Glad you found my viewpoints interesting, can't say I feel the same about yours.


« previous 1
back to top