Iryna KL's Reviews > The Traitor Prince

The Traitor Prince by C.J. Redwine

did not like it
bookshelves: arc

I received a free egalley of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you publisher!

1/5 Stars

Where do I even start with this book? As excited as I was with the premise, the actual story for me did not deliver. And neither did the writing.

From the first page I already had a feeling this was not going to be a book that I was going to end up enjoying. The writing was stagnant, ill-paced, and unimaginative. I’ve read books with beautiful prose and descriptions and this just fell flat.

For example, the main character traveled three weeks through the desert in the span of one sentence. That’s it. That’s all we got. I mean are you telling me that the character’s trip across a large, arid, and possibly dangerous desert was so uneventful?

The main villain of the story, Rahim, was your stereotypical villain. His dialogue (along with everyone else’s) was pitiful. He was a pathetic villain who was violent for the sake of being violent. That’s it? What drove him, besides growing up poor? Was the author trying to say that people who grow up poor and unwanted by their fathers all grow up to be murderous villains? His backstory needed more work and so did his motivations.

Our goody two-shoes of a main character, Javan, somehow found himself thrown into what was allegedly the most dangerous and heinous prison in the city of Akram. While there he suddenly became a “gladiator” forced to fight against vicious monsters and fellow prisoners for the chance at a possible meeting with the King to possibly maybe gain his freedom. Yup. That’s it. I can’t tell you how sick I am of the whole gladiator trope. If you are going to go down that route write it well, (Jay Kristoff’s Godsgrave as an example). Also coming back to Javan all he ever did was repeat himself. Literally every other page of his POV involved him repeating things he said and being all “woe is me”. I was tired of hearing about why he was where he was and the endless repetition of his monologue.

I went a lot farther into this book than I wanted (80%), only because I was initially so excited to read it that I kept hoping there had to be some sort of redemption to this story towards the end (which I ended up skipping to). FYI, there wasn’t. I can’t even bring myself to write about the other characters or issues I had with this book because I will surely run out of space.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor Prince.

August 3, 2017 – Shelved
August 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2017 – Started Reading
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
October 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Julia Aww, I was really looking forward to this. :(

Iryna KL Julia wrote: "Aww, I was really looking forward to this. :("

I really was too! But try it - you might like it and it just might be me :)

message 3: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Gonzalez Ramos Sounds like the previous book in this series.

Beth I love the fact that Rahim is violent for the sake of being violent, it's a more realistic villian. Theres awful shit in the world and there isnt always a perfectly plotted reason