Joe's Reviews > Matched

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed-library, young-adult, dystopia

Official Transcripts

June 21, 2001 • AOL Chatroom AuthorTalk
ACondieHottie: Oh my gosh! Lois Lowry! You're actually online!
2timeNewbery: Sigh. Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: It's Ally. With a 'y'!
ACondieHottie: I can't believe u forgot! Don't u read my letters?
2timeNewbery: I've received them, yes.
ACondieHottie: Ur my favorite author! Ur books R so rad!
ACondieHottie: Especially The Giver! I love that one! It's so aweum!
ACondieHottie: Jonah's world is so neet! I want to write a book just like it!
ACondieHottie: I wish The Giver had more romance, though. My book would have romance.
ACondieHottie: Do u like romance? Have u ever been in love?
ACondieHottie: I haven't. I wish 2 boys would fight over me. That would b awesum!
2timeNewbery: Yes.
ACondieHottie: If 2 boys fought over u, which one would u pick?
ACondieHottie: Would u choose the brooding, rebellious, artsy hottie or the gentle, good-natured boy you've known ur entire life?
ACondieHottie: I don't know who I would choose! It would b so confusing!
ACondieHottie: Do u ever get confused?

April 5, 2004 • AOL Chatroom AuthorTalk
ACondieHottie: Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!
2timeNewbery: Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: Ally!
ACondieHottie: I started writing a book!!
2timeNewbery: Good luck with that.
ACondieHottie: I have a question. How do u create tension in a book?
ACondieHottie: I can't seem to create any tension in my book!
ACondieHottie: Do u create tension by setting the story in the future? Because The Giver is set in the future, and it is really tense!
ACondieHottie: What if I capitalized random words? Does that create tension or uncertainty? Maybe that's what they'll do in the Future. ;)
ACondieHottie: Kissing is not Allowed in the Society!
ACondieHottie: lol

January 1, 2008 • Yahoo Instant Messenger
ACondieHottie: Happy New Year Day!!!
2timeNewbery: Hi, Amy.
ACondieHottie: Ally! Ally Condie!
2timeNewbery: Sorry.
ACondieHottie: I'm almost finished with my book, but I keep writing myself into corners.
ACondieHottie: In fact, my book just seems to trundle along happily, nothing much really happening.
ACondieHottie: It's actually kind of boring. I've fallen asleep a couple times while writing it! lol.
ACondieHottie: The more I try to make things happen, the less action there is. Maybe I should just have my characters kiss each other. Or long to kiss each other, even though it is not Allowed. ;)
ACondieHottie: Can I tell you something?
ACondieHottie: I really want my book to be just like yours! Really good and profound!
ACondieHottie: Don't get me wrong. My book is about horny teens, truth, and justice in a repressed society and yours is just about truth and justice in a repressed society. So it's different. But the same!
ACondieHottie: Because ur a genius and I like ur ideas. :)

May 18, 2010 • Yahoo Instant Messenger
ACondieHottie: Eeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Ur online!!!
2timeNewbery: Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: Ally!
ACondieHottie: Did u receive the ARC of my book, Matched? I mailed one 2 u last week!
2timeNewbery: Yes.
ACondieHottie: What do u think?
2timeNewbery: I think you should find yourself a lawyer.
ACondieHottie has logged off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

September 13, 2011 – Started Reading
September 13, 2011 – Shelved
September 24, 2011 – Shelved as: borrowed-library
September 24, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 24, 2011 – Shelved as: dystopia
September 24, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)

Ally On my list! Let me know what you think.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe You tweeted me info about this book about a year ago. So far it's been circulating pretty well (mostly among girls), but the reviews are mixed. One said it was too much like a futuristic Twilight sans vampires but maintaining the Who Should I Love antics? I finally decided I should read it. If it's a Hot Mess, expect a scathing review. You know how much I love writing those. :)

Sandra I feel like any young love story nowadays gets unfairly compared to Twilight. The dystopian aspect of this book and the fact that the heroin isn't a total idiot makes them completely different. She actually does stuff for herself and the romance is a side not the focus.

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Seventy pages into it, and here's what I can honestly say: it is shocking- SHOCKING - to me that Lois Lowry hasn't sued for copyright infringement. This book's world-building REEKS of The Giver. It's not even remotely original.

Sandra The part with her grandfather (don't know if you're there yet) was particularly similar. The Giver is one of my favorite books so maybe I should be offended by Matched, but I guess I enjoyed reading a slightly different version, since I can only re-read it so many times. Since it's going to continue I expect the next books to be more original (since The Giver ended with his escape) but don't know if at that point it will switch to being too similar to The Hunger Games (with respect to a rebellion).

Spider the Doof Warrior Ha! Brilliant review.

Ally F-ing brilliant.

Monica Amazing! So. Amazing.

Kristi Love this review and find it completely accurate, even though I did enjoy the book.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Bahahahahha. Ily

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary I'm so glad I didn't listen to all the hype

message 12: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 12, 2011 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana I still don't understand why Condie wasn't sued for this.

message 13: by Nat (new) - added it

Nat Is it really like the Giver...considering I loved that book? I don't think I'm going to read it anyways. And awesome review...they always manage to make me crack up laughing.

message 14: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa This was a super awesome review. haha. :D Thanks for the laughs.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa his review of Twilight is hilarious

message 16: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Lisa wrote: "his review of Twilight is hilarious"

thanks for letting me know. I'm about to look for it to laugh some more. :]

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Best. Review. Ever. (capitalizing makes things more exciting)

message 18: by Lara (new) - added it

Lara I have not read the book yet, but this review is hilarious!

Natalie That was...that was brilliant.

Even though I hate Lois Lowry, that was brilliant.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly O'connor That. was. hilarious.

message 21: by Hera (new)

Hera Look this is exactly like Carrier of the mark and Twilight, no author is going to sue another, there's no point.

By the way amazing review, best i've seen.

Kammera Freakin hilarious!! that is sad that it rips off The Giver.

message 23: by Hazel (new) - rated it 1 star

Hazel This is the best review of this book ever. It's a crappy, poorly written romance novel that is practically a copy of The Giver.

message 24: by Kenya (new) - added it

Kenya Wright I've now met my Review Husband! Please Marry Me!!!

Princess Kayla Beautiful!

message 26: by Inge (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inge Absolutely hilarious!

message 27: by PJforaDay (new) - added it

PJforaDay :) so funny!

Sarah Hannah haha the people who bully people who write critical reviews on goodreads posted a picture of this and bashed you for not saying it's a joke. Because apparently it's not enough to be funny and obviously be sarcastic, so you clearly misrepresented the author. Sarcasm is so hard! hahaha anyway, you're hilarious, and this is spot-on.

message 29: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe hannah wrote: "haha the people who bully people who write critical reviews on goodreads posted a picture of this and bashed you for not saying it's a joke. Because apparently it's not enough to be funny and obvio..."

Hannah, would you mind posting a link to the site that has reposted this review and bashed me? I'd like to see it! Thanks! :)

Sarah Hannah http://stopthegrbullies.com/2012/09/1... Enjoy. They're these anonymous cray crays who like to bully people and whine about people on goodreads who write critical reviews, all because like two people were once really horrible to authors. I hate that I make their site statistics go up, but they're just so hilarious.

message 31: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe hannah wrote: "http://stopthegrbullies.com/2012/09/1... Enjoy. They're these anonymous cray crays who like to bully people and whine about people on goodreads who write critical reviews, all..."

HAHAHAHAHA!

This is priceless.

Boo hoo! Boo hoo hoo hoo hoo! - I didn't like a book and I chose a creative way to express my dislike. If that makes me a bully, then 99% of reviewers who express discontent (including the individuals who run this stupid site - and capitalize on an of-the-moment buzzword, 'bully' [of which they have no concept]) are bullies.

Sarah Hannah Joe wrote: "hannah wrote: "http://stopthegrbullies.com/2012/09/1... Enjoy. They're these anonymous cray crays who like to bully people and whine about people on goodreads who write critic..."

Right? It's like a car wreck--they're so clueless and so misinformed and so ridiculous and so mean, and yet I can't stop going back and reading more of their asshattery.

Naomi I enjoyed Matched, but I like The Giver a lot better and this review is hilarious!

message 34: by Ally (new) - rated it 1 star

Ally This review is epically awesome!!

Tonya Best review of this book ever! Thanks for making me laugh!

Tonya Best review of this book ever! Thanks for making me laugh!

Renee HAHAHAHAHA

Sophia Campana Wow, you should be a comedian ;)

message 39: by Maya (new) - rated it 1 star

Maya :) Hilarious! And incredibly accurate :)

Lilly Santiago LMFAO

message 41: by Iwetta (new)

Iwetta Seruga what the hell????

Bhavik this is the funniest review i have ever seen

Venessa Tan This review.
Don't mind me, I'll just be choking from my laughter in the corner here xD

message 44: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Godbout I don't normally comment on this site ever but this I just had to show appreciation for!!!

Philly Best. Review. Ever.

message 46: by Nora (new) - rated it 1 star

Nora This seriously sent me to a fit of hysterical laughter. No joke:)
I hardly ever comment on this site but this is spot on so could I not?

Shameeka Alexis Ha ha:D
I enjoyed that one!

Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews) OMG! I LOVE THIS! :)

message 49: by Nada (new) - rated it 1 star

Nada D this is so accurate ! even though I'm still at the beginning of the book.

Jane This>Matched