Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > One of Us is Lying

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

bookshelves: ya-contemporary, thriller, mystery, romance
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a good thriller with a bunch of secrets.
Read 2 times. Last read August 7, 2017 to August 11, 2017.

I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while, so I was super excited when the library got a copy. I mean, The Breakfast Club gets thrown around a lot when this book is mentioned, right?

The afternoon Bronwyn, Cooper, Addy and Nate end up in detention together, their lives become a living nightmare. The other person in the detention room is Simon, the guy who runs the very annoying gossip app. He's not a popular guy and a lot of people hate him for spreading rumours, but this time around he's the story.

And shortly after, these four become murder suspects. People start to talk about them, everyone wants to interview them, and the police won't stop hassling them.

Bronwyn is a good girl and an even better student, but she has a secret. Cooper is an exceptional baseball player, but his secret could ruin his career options. Addy is a loyal girlfriend, but her secret could end her relationship. Nate is a drug dealer, but more than that, he's a guy with trust and abandonment issues, and his whole life is wrapped in secrets.

So who killed Simon? Which one of these kids wanted their secret buried so badly they would kill a classmate? Or is there someone else calling the shots?

Wow. This book is fantastic! I enjoyed every single moment of it.

The story is told in the alternating POVs of Bronwyn, Cooper, Addy and Nate, so it took me a few chapters to slot each voice into the right place. Once I did, I relaxed into the flow and enjoyed learning more about each person. I especially loved how these completely different kinds of kids end up depending on each other when the world turns against them. As awful as this experience is, all of them end up learning a lot about themselves and each other. The character growth in this story is exceptional.

I also thought the writing style was awesome because it delved very deeply into each character in such a casual and natural way. Yet still managed to keep certain things concealed until the time is right. Everything just fit so well together!

Oh, and the sibling connections were as amazing as the amount of secrets squeezed into one book. So many secrets, so many lies... so much hidden beneath the surface. I LOVED it!

This is such an awesome book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Us is Lying.

Finished Reading
August 2, 2017 – Shelved
August 2, 2017 – Shelved as: current-tbr-pile
August 2, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary
August 7, 2017 – Started Reading
August 7, 2017 –
page 41
11.39% "I borrowed this book from the library last week because it sounded very interesting. I mean, it's somewhat inspired by The Breakfast Club, so... I hope it's good. And now that I've got my bearings, I can tell the four characters apart. *thumbs up*"
August 8, 2017 –
page 97
26.94% "This is SO good! Let's hope it stays that way... *fingers crossed* :)"
August 9, 2017 –
page 162
45.0% "I'm LOVING this book! It's so messed up. Everything is blowing up. And the lies are piling up. *rubs hands together*"
August 10, 2017 –
page 255
70.83% "This book is SO fucking good! Totally guessed one of the character revelations... but still hanging on every word. SO good!"
August 10, 2017 –